1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Is my car tuned?

Posted by eddyspaghetti, Jul 11, 2020

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. eddyspaghetti

eddyspaghetti Proven Member

Joined Mar 27, 2016
    san francisco, California
    Hello fellow dsm'rs, I bought my 1997 GSX 2016, when I bout the car everything was stock, it did have a turbosx manual boost controller hanging deep in the engine, also had a boost Guage and air/fuel wide band Guage. When i start the car, it revs super high, it goes through gas really fast, struggles to get going especially up hill but drives well. my guess is that it had upgraded turbo just about everything, they took it all off before selling but didn't tune the car back to original settings? If this is true, would I be able to buy a EPROM ecu and just plug it in and everything will go back to oem settings? Or it doesn't work like that? This is what I was looking at.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/184297147871

Also I don't have a tuner where I live, just want the car back to stock but do plan on upgrading everything in the future. Soooo without further ado, any help would be much appreciated, thank you in advance :) have a good weekend

P.s car also won't even come close to passing smog.

2. John Miller

John Miller Proven Member

Joined Jan 27, 2020
    Juneau, Wisconsin

I'm a new DSM person but I think it is safe to say your car is not tuned appropriately. I would go thru the entire car and see what was modded and unmodded. I believe the EPROM ECU just gives you access to change afr and basically everything else. I would buy it and download a base tune or take it do a dyno and have it tuned properly.

279  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. Evolving_sti

Evolving_sti Proven Member

Joined Apr 28, 2019
    DANBURY, Connecticut
    U need dsmlink

571  6

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    320 whp · 315 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  4. llxkevinxll

llxkevinxll Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2012
    Cleveland, Ohio
    First step is remove the ecu and open the case. See what you have in there. Might have ecmlink already which means you just need a cable and can simply download the factory settings from their site. But before buying anything see what you have in there. Also, the link you used is for a 91-94 Dsm, you have a 2G.

89  1

1997 Chevy S-10
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Autocross Build 3K  4

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.90 @ 124.05 · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  5. 98 dsm

98 dsm Supporting Member

Joined Mar 8, 2009
    milaca, Minnesota
    if it's a stock ecu it should be the black box style if your car is a 97. those are flashable ecu's i don't know if it would help opening it up or not.
    what are your afr on start up, idle and cruising?

180  4

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

Drag Race Build 237  8

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 173  7

1990 Eagle Talon TSi
    13.805 @ 99.67 · 1G DSM
  6. eddyspaghetti

eddyspaghetti Proven Member

Joined Mar 27, 2016
    san francisco, California
    Thank you for the help, I will get on that asap

7. CAM280

CAM280 Supporting Member

Joined Oct 6, 2019
    BRISBANE, Australia
    I recommend checking out Jafromobile on youtube for all his tuning tips.

8. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Negative, 98-99 are black box. Only post 7/97 were black boxes installed and that was still sparse.
    My 97 is a standard metal case ecu, 9/97 build date.

Sounds like @eddyspaghetti needs to do some investigating on what the cars current state of health is, as well as checking the ECU and electronics out. Sounds like it may have some vacuum leaks or have injectors in it that it's not tuned for.

Street Build 804  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

745  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 3K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  9. 98 dsm

98 dsm Supporting Member

Joined Mar 8, 2009
    milaca, Minnesota
    Thanks Thunderchild always happy to learn something new! i thought all 97-99 had the black box, my apologies on posting inaccurate info

180  4

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

Drag Race Build 237  8

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 173  7

1990 Eagle Talon TSi
    13.805 @ 99.67 · 1G DSM
  10. CKOPOCT

CKOPOCT Probationary Member

Joined May 27, 2017
    North East, Maryland
    OP - if you purchase a stock ECU then it will have the factory tune, and assuming the issue is just fuel map/tune related, then swapping ECUs will "fix the problem." However, if the car was modded with bolt-ons and whatnot, just swapping out the ECU will likely just present new problems. If the previous owner didn't take the time to retune or reset things after scavenging back all his/her go fast parts, then it is likely they weren't meticulous or particular in other areas as well.

As Thunderchild advised, check out the ECU, but also spend time going through the car and ensure stuff is straight and tight. Vacuum leaks, boost leaks, wrong injectors, wrong fuel pressure, and a host of other things could be plaguing you. Once you know what you have you can establish the baseline and go from there.

Good luck! Hope it truly is as simple as hooking up ECMLink or giving it a factory tune.