The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Is heat shrink tube safe to submerge in fuel tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWD-Tony

Proven Member
Sep 11, 2017
Cincinnati, Ohio
I've been searching the interwebs and can't find a clear answer. Swapping over my 255 for 525 and didn't get the install kit. The connector looks different from what I recall. If it doesn't fit, I was planning on soldering the connector from the 255. Is heat shrink tube safe to submerge in gasoline & ethanol?

Thanks
Tony

In my experience it is not. Common heat-shrink will degrade. I don't know if they make e85/gasoline-specific heat shrink.

edit: I'll add that heat shrink was only used in e85.

Last edited:
I've been searching the interwebs and can't find a clear answer. Swapping over my 255 for 525 and didn't get the install kit. The connector looks different from what I recall. If it doesn't fit, I was planning on soldering the connector from the 255. Is heat shrink tube safe to submerge in gasoline & ethanol?

Thanks
Tony

Most available heat shrink is going to be PVC which should be fine for submersion in pump gasoline. If you are running fuel with high alcohol content I would suggest PTFE heatsrhink.

To add, I would solder the wires together at different places. That is to say, have the solder connections offset so that they do not come in contact as the wires move. If the heat shrink degrades it will be an issue for the pump and fuel filter but gasoline does not conduct electricity well. So if the solder joins can't physically touch you'll be fine heatshrink or not. Source. Given this heat shrink may not even necessary (but I'd still recommend it).

Most available heat shrink is going to be PVC which should be fine for submersion in pump gasoline. If you are running fuel with high alcohol content I would suggest PTFE heatsrhink.

Yeah. Got the pump for E so PTFE shrink tube it is. Thanks, Kevin!!

To add, I would solder the wires together at different places. That is to say, have the solder connections offset so that they do not come in contact as the wires move. If the heat shrink degrades it will be an issue for the pump and fuel filter but gasoline does not conduct electricity well. So if the solder joins can't physically touch you'll be fine heatshrink or not. Source. Given this heat shrink may not even necessary (but I'd still recommend it).

I have been offsetting my solder connections lately so it's not bulky when it's assembled. Perfect for this application to offset it.

In my experience it is not. Common heat-shrink will degrade. I don't know if they make e85/gasoline-specific heat shrink.

We send people to the moon. We send information through the air in seconds. This should be a piece of cake. :p

"DR25 is designed for optimum high temperature fuel and fluid resistance. These fluids include aviation and diesel fuels, hydraulic fluids and lubricating oils. It has a high continuous operating temperature of 150°C; DR-25 also offers superior mechanical protection and abrasion resistance.

DR-TW Specially formulated for optimum high-temperature fluid resistance, and long-term heat resistance. Resistant to aviation and diesel fuels, hydraulic fluids and lubricating oils. Contact us for details to purchase.

RW-200-E is a Viton® fluoroelastomeric heat shrinkable tubing, which is ideally suited to applications where temperature and fluid resistance are major factors. RW-200-E will withstand a continuous operating temperature of 200°C and still maintain a good resistance to fuels, most hydraulic fluids and other chemicals, extreme weather conditions, and radiation.

PLDR100 is fuel resistance to aviation and diesel fuels, hydraulic fluids and lubricating oils. Common applications include insulation, oil resistance and mechanical protection.

PLK175 is a semi rigid and resistant to most fuels, solvents and chemicals with a continuous operating temperature of 175°C. This product can also easily withstand 350°C for short periods.

RW-175 tubing is highly resistant to flame, high temperatures and chemicals. Modified polyvinylidene fluoride material provides outstanding abrasion and cut-through resistance. Its very thin wall design and standard clear colour make this tubing suitable for dense packaging applications and/or visual inspection of covered components.

PLV200 withstands a continuous operating temperature of 200°C and maintains good resistance to fuels, most hydraulics fluids/other chemicals, extreme weather conditions and radiation. PLV200 has good flexibility, combined with excellent abrasion resistance.

TFE250 is a fluoroplastic material which is fuel resistant and has almost total chemical & solvent resistance. It has extremely high electrical resistance and total resistance to UV radiation."
Typically, DR25 is the go to choice for most heatshrinking in motorsports.

I wouldn't risk having a spliced part submerged in the fuel though and would just make a new line.

"DR25 is designed for optimum high temperature fuel and fluid resistance. These fluids include aviation and diesel fuels, hydraulic fluids and lubricating oils. It has a high continuous operating temperature of 150°C; DR-25 also offers superior mechanical protection and abrasion resistance.

DR-TW Specially formulated for optimum high-temperature fluid resistance, and long-term heat resistance. Resistant to aviation and diesel fuels, hydraulic fluids and lubricating oils. Contact us for details to purchase.

RW-200-E is a Viton® fluoroelastomeric heat shrinkable tubing, which is ideally suited to applications where temperature and fluid resistance are major factors. RW-200-E will withstand a continuous operating temperature of 200°C and still maintain a good resistance to fuels, most hydraulic fluids and other chemicals, extreme weather conditions, and radiation.

PLDR100 is fuel resistance to aviation and diesel fuels, hydraulic fluids and lubricating oils. Common applications include insulation, oil resistance and mechanical protection.

PLK175 is a semi rigid and resistant to most fuels, solvents and chemicals with a continuous operating temperature of 175°C. This product can also easily withstand 350°C for short periods.

RW-175 tubing is highly resistant to flame, high temperatures and chemicals. Modified polyvinylidene fluoride material provides outstanding abrasion and cut-through resistance. Its very thin wall design and standard clear colour make this tubing suitable for dense packaging applications and/or visual inspection of covered components.

PLV200 withstands a continuous operating temperature of 200°C and maintains good resistance to fuels, most hydraulics fluids/other chemicals, extreme weather conditions and radiation. PLV200 has good flexibility, combined with excellent abrasion resistance.

TFE250 is a fluoroplastic material which is fuel resistant and has almost total chemical & solvent resistance. It has extremely high electrical resistance and total resistance to UV radiation."
Typically, DR25 is the go to choice for most heatshrinking in motorsports.

I wouldn't risk having a spliced part submerged in the fuel though and would just make a new line.

Thanks Andrew! Looks like the TFE250 will work in this case.

I’m an idiot. I didn’t even check what the install kit costs when I bought the pump. Just checked it and it’s $10 :ohdamn::ohdamn::ohdamn:. I’ll just order the damn thing. Haha.
Thanks all!!

Thanks Andrew! Looks like the TFE250 will work in this case.

I’m an idiot. I didn’t even check what the install kit costs when I bought the pump. Just checked it and it’s $10 :ohdamn::ohdamn::ohdamn:. I’ll just order the damn thing. Haha.
Thanks all!!

That's gonna be your best bet. Good info for others in the future on heat shrink options for different environments.

Going to also add. You can not submerse regular fuel line. They have some specifically for that purpose. Regular line will break down/deteriorate.
The kits do comes with the kind you can.

When I got my car it had a no-name pump and apparently the stock plug was cut so the guy just soldered two spade connectors and heat shrinked them. I couldn't find a replacement plug so when I swapped to an evo pump I left it as it is. Been driving it since 4 years, haven't had issues with the heatshrink so far, although I cannot say what type of heatshrink it is.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

When I got my car it had a no-name pump and apparently the stock plug was cut so the guy just soldered two spade connectors and heat shrinked them. I couldn't find a replacement plug so when I swapped to an evo pump I left it as it is. Been driving it since 4 years, haven't had issues with the heatshrink so far, although I cannot say what type of heatshrink it is.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks, Stefan! I'm switching to ethanol so I'm going to order the install kit.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back