The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Interchangeable Transmission, Tranfercase,and Rear Diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowpoke

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 15, 2003
Fayetteville, North_Carolina
I have a 95' Talon Tsi AWD automatic. My rear end has been clunking every once in awhile when I turn. I know I have a lsd rear diff because I had the dealer run the vin. My question is, what is the difference in the 97' on up automatic drivetrain vs. the 95'-96' far as transmission, tranfercase? I have been calling junkyards and the have told me at several places that their book tells them that it is different and it doesn't state why. I know the rear diff are the same on all the years for the automatic unless you have non locking. The reason i'm asking these questions is that I found a transmission, transfercase, and rear diff out of a 98' Talon for a good deal and it has only 26,xxx miles on it. My car has over 100,xxx hard miles on it. I would like to use the 98 drivetrain but I need to make sure it will work. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gil

Originally posted by 92awdgsx
95 thru 99 are the same

When you call the salvage yard they tell you that for awd automatic transmissions 95'-96' are not compatible to 97'-99' but they can't give you an answer why. There books or computers doesn't say... What's up with that?

Thanks,

Gil

i don't know. they say the motors are different too for 95 and 96 but they are the same too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back