The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

installing valves and valvesprings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herms99gst

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2009
stanley, Virginia
i was wondering if their is a tech article that explains how to install valves and valvesprings? ive looked and can not find 1...i have yet to have my head machined yet to accept my 1mm over valves and bronze valve guides, but when i do i wanted to save some money by installing my valvetrain myself...also i will be installing the fp upgraded beehive sprins with alluminum retainers..i know alum. i will install ti when they go out on me...will i need these shimmed...it does say the can use the oem valve seats...also im disassemling my head now....i have the cam caps ion order, they were stamped at some point in tim...e1 e2...i1 i2...etc...but do i have to have the rocker arms in order if im using new hla's?

Rocker arms don't need kept in order, especially with all the other work you're doing.
Make sure you put the cam caps back on in the same spot. That's why they're stamped.
Aluminum retainers will be just fine. The reason people switch to Ti ones is to save more weight in the valvetrain. Unless you're going to rev to the moon, you'll be fine with Al ones.
If you can use the OEM seats, you shouldn't have to shim the springs.

Since you head is not mounted to the block, you can go to your local auto parts store and ask to rent a valve spring compressor. It will probably cost you about $50 to rent it, but most places will give you that all back once you return it. You'll probably need to make an adapter to fit down into the head where our springs are. I used a 5/8" spark plug socket** (no use on a car with 13/16" spark plugs) and cut 2 sides of it out so I could reach in to install the keepers. I needed to use another short socket that fit on the bottom of the spark plug socket to make it long enough.
**A 5/8" spark plug socket worked for both the DSM size retainers and the smaller retainers used with Evo 8 springs, which are also a slightly beehive shape. Check to make sure that a 5/8" socket will properly press down on your new retainer before cutting the socket.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Use a bit of assembly lube on the keepers to help hold them in place. It really helps.

And before anyone else gives you a formal warning you about it, you need to use proper grammar, punctuation, and capitalization on this forum. It makes your post easier to read, and it make the search feature on the site more accurate. It also adds a touch of professionalism to this site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help and i appologize for the lack of approriate grammar, ive tried to download the ie spell several times but i just can get it to work. I will tripple read my posts to make sure everything checks out ok. So, if i can use the oem seat, and i do not have to shim the valve springs, should i still check the installed height before i install my cams to make sure all of my springs are he same height? Ive seen the tool you are refering to in the local autozone for sale, but i planned on building one from a BIG c clamp and a 5/8 socket. Really what all this comes down to is i want to have my head work done at a machine shop, and all the port work dnone as well....i would just like to lear how to install my valvetrain the correct way...thanks for all of your help on this subject......it would be nice if someone would post a tech article in the diy section on how to setup a valvetrain...a lot of people could prob bennifit from it:thumb:

For the price you pay for the cutting of the valves, head, and valve seats, you won't be paying that much for assembly.

I would just have your machine shop finish the job. That way, you only have one person to blame for any mishaps or defects.

Thanks for the help and i appologize for the lack of approriate grammar, ive tried to download the ie spell several times but i just can get it to work. I will tripple read my posts to make sure everything checks out ok. So, if i can use the oem seat, and i do not have to shim the valve springs, should i still check the installed height before i install my cams to make sure all of my springs are he same height? Ive seen the tool you are refering to in the local autozone for sale, but i planned on building one from a BIG c clamp and a 5/8 socket. Really what all this comes down to is i want to have my head work done at a machine shop, and all the port work dnone as well....i would just like to lear how to install my valvetrain the correct way...thanks for all of your help on this subject......it would be nice if someone would post a tech article in the diy section on how to setup a valvetrain...a lot of people could prob bennifit from it:thumb:

That is pretty much what I do. One big ass C clamp, some soft material on the valve side, and im not sure what to call the cool but its sorta like an open sided socket with a handle to compress the spring and give you enough room to uninstall/reinstall the keepers. I'm actually putting my head together tomorrow so if you don't mind I'll post up some pictures for you to compare.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back