The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Installing pulleys =

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slugo17

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 26, 2005
Nevada, Missouri
I have searched and searched and searched for this and cannot find the answer.
I am in the middle of a 6 bolt swap to my 97 gst and i'm converting the belt system to the ribbed belts like everyone recomends.

My delima is this, I am trying to install the power steering pully that goes on the water pump, and I cant figure out how to get it back on, it has a bearing but nowhere to go. Again its the 7 bolt pulley and it is a 6 bolt water pump, but I cant see how (or remeber how) I got it off in the first place, the teardown of my 7 bolt was about a year ago. So, am I retarded, am I missing something, or do I just have the wrong pulley all together, which is concivable as the parts were just thrown in a clothes basket, but its the only one that looks right. The pulley I have is the right size in comparison but has a pulley with a bolt that fits in the middle, and it doesnt seem to fit on the waterpump anywhere.

Sorry if that paragraph is a mess, I've been wracking my head all day over this and its one of the last things to do before the drop in and I was hopeing to have the motor sat in place by Sunday night.
Thanks.

The Belt should go on around the waterpump pulley and then the power steering pulley first and the pull on the power steering pump to tighten it up to spec. The water pump should have two pulleys bolted up to it, the smaller one first and then the larger one on the outside. The bigger pulley os for the alternator, crank and a/c if you still have it. Hope this helps

It sounds like you are trying to install the wrong pulley. The alternator and PS pump (the one that goes on the pump itself) are both secured with one bolt in the center. The water pump pulley(s) is secured by 4 small bolts. Here is what they look like. Also make sure that they seat correctly by lining them up with the dowel pin and are facing the right way.

Attachments

• Miscellaneous 323.jpg
    Miscellaneous 323.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Miscellaneous 326.jpg
    Miscellaneous 326.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 92
It sounds like you are trying to install the wrong pulley. The alternator and PS pump (the one that goes on the pump itself) are both secured with one bolt in the center. The water pump pulley(s) is secured by 4 small bolts. Here is what they look like. Also make sure that they seat correctly by lining them up with the dowel pin and are facing the right way.

Thank you very much. I have been trying to put on the wrong pulley. I will start looking for the other one right now. But while we're on the subject, does anyone have an idea of what pulley I have? Its very similar in size to the smaller one but has a bearing in the middle with an odd shaped bolt that fits perfectly, and its the 4 groove like the others.
Thanks again.

Thank you very much. I have been trying to put on the wrong pulley. I will start looking for the other one right now. But while we're on the subject, does anyone have an idea of what pulley I have? Its very similar in size to the smaller one but has a bearing in the middle with an odd shaped bolt that fits perfectly, and its the 4 groove like the others.
Thanks again.

Luckily for you I have the motor apart right now.;)

Since it has a bearing it's probably the AC tensioner pulley.

EDIT: It's a PITA to install with the motor in the car.

Attachments

• Miscellaneous 327.jpg
    Miscellaneous 327.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Miscellaneous 328.jpg
    Miscellaneous 328.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 80
Luckily for you I have the motor apart right now.;)

Since it has a bearing it's probably the AC tensioner pulley.

EDIT: It's a PITA to install with the motor in the car.

You are my GD hero, romeen. Thank you very much, It would have taken me forever to figure that out, and idk why I had the tensioner apart in the first place, must have just got crazy with the impact wrench during teardown.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back