1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

In dash dvd units

Posted by majik2k5, Aug 30, 2012

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. majik2k5

majik2k5 Proven Member

Joined Jul 13, 2005
    Lemoore, California
    Looking to get some input on some in dash dvd players for 1G's. Most shops around here are selling decent ones at around $200-$300 so I figured why not, however I have not had too much lucking finding any information on mounting brackets and wiring harnesses or personal testimony from people that have actually installed one and the process they went through. Thanks in advance for any help, much appreciated.

333  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. born2tune

born2tune Proven Member

Joined Dec 30, 2009
    clarksville, Tennessee
    its no different than any single din or double din install on other cars. its a universal 7" din.
    If you know how to install one its no different from any other car, if you dont know how- a shop will have no issues installing it for you in no time.

3. MITSUMURDOK

MITSUMURDOK Proven Member

Joined Jul 12, 2005
    Newburgh, New York
    I put a double din pioneer dvd deck in my wife's xterra (radio mounts were very similar to my 1G) and it was really no different than mounting any other deck. The deck lined up with the stock mounts that screw into the sides of the radio and came with a trim plate that you can sandwich in between the radio and the stock bezel to hide any gaps. As far as wiring, get an adapter harness that plugs into the factory harness and there was a parking brake wire, but that can be bypassed if you want.

Street Build 530  3

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

479  6

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  4. majik2k5

majik2k5 Proven Member

Joined Jul 13, 2005
    Lemoore, California
    Awesome, thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated.

333  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  5. oh-b-1g

oh-b-1g Proven Member

Joined Sep 27, 2009
    kokomo, Indiana
    I just want to make a suggestion. See if you can find an alpine ina-w900 used for sale. You can probably get one for aroun 3-500 and it is without a doubt THE best unit I have ever used. I managed a car stereo shop for 2 years and did install for a year before that at the same shop, and even tho kenwood made a dub din that cost 800 more the alpine still out performed it in every way! I say get one used because new there about a grand, but if any radio is worth it its this one! If you're intrested look up the alpine imprint sound processor add-on. If really want great sound, conectivity, and the best picture on a 7"monitor, you need to check it out. Any alpine dealer should be able to demo the imprint for you too. Sorry to ramble, but this is post number 30!! So I wanted to make it good.

Street Build 736  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  6. triggerx

triggerx Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Instead of starting a new thread Im just going to use this, one, since it pertains to the same thing.
    Anyone have any experience with a dvd unit in a 1g. Seems kinda too close to the shifter honestly

7. Boost25

Boost25 Proven Member

Joined May 29, 2012
    Gaylord, Michigan
    I think I'd smash my hand into it on a solid 2/3 shift.

8. 2g98

2g98 Probationary Member

Joined Mar 10, 2011
    Portsmouth, Ohio
    If you are looking into getting a double din then there are no issues with clearance for shifting. If it is the single din flip up type then yes there you would have a problem. As for mounting, its as stated above. Just use the existing brackets. As for an adapter harness i actually had to splice into my harness b/c with the adapter i was having issues getting the unit to go back far enough and had nowhere to tuck it. BTW i have a Clarion unit and its the best i have ever owned.