The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Impact question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcjjones

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
Deciding on a new impact, old one gave out on me. Going to get an Ingersoll Rand but cant decide which one to choose.

At Lowes there is a Ingersoll Rand 2132G on clearance for 89 bucks, original 169 I believe.

Also at lowes there is a Ingersoll Rand 231G and 170G kit that also includes some impact sockets for 149.99. Which seems like an awesome deal.

The thing about the 2132G is the price drop for one, but also the 600 ft lbs of break away it has. Its light, and super quiet but I dont like the fact that some of it is plastic.

Both the 231G and 170G seem like great tools and I like that the Impact is complete medal. Feels sturdy, but its only 500 ft lbs of break away and its heavier and louder.

Anyone have any experience with either of these tools, mainly the Impacts? This both will be used on a daily basis and at a professional level.

Almost every professional technician I know uses a SO MG725. For home use I use the HF Earthquake gun and it works like a champ.

Almost every professional technician I know uses a SO MG725. For home use I use the HF Earthquake gun and it works like a champ.

The SO MG725 has a weak hammer case that likes the shatter under heavy use. The IR2135timax and Aircat nitrocat are far better and very popular with pros. Aircat is the cheapest too ass its under $200

The SO MG725 has a weak hammer case that likes the shatter under heavy use. The IR2135timax and Aircat nitrocat are far better and very popular with pros. Aircat is the cheapest too ass its under $200

You are thinking about the model before the current 725. Of the 30+ techs at my dealership, most of them use the 725, some for quite a few years, and not one has shattered.

maybe. I have read alot of stuff on garage journal about ppl having problems with them. I have a ir2135TIMAX and love it. But if your lookin for cheap the aircat nitrocat 1200k is about $160 and has the same power.
the only snap on air tool id shell out the cash for is their air hammer its a beast.

It boiled down to this for me, IR is known to have issues when even a little water is in the lines and just corrodes out the guts, and you have your 2 year warranty and that's it, if you run into bad luck or moisture in the lines (which you will in almost every pro shop) you are buying a new gun with the IR. With the SO you get the same warranty, plus the dealer rebuild program, which is just a fraction of the cost of replacing a gun. Not to mention SO gives you a loaner gun during a rebuild.

For my air tools, I have the following:

- MG725 1/2" Impact
- IR (forgot model number) 3/8" Impact
- Craftsman 3/8" Air Ratchet (was only like 29.99 but it's a beast and has been reliable as all hell)
- Craftsman 1/4" Air Ratchet (also a beast and reliable)
- Chicago Pneumatic Die Angle
- Chicago Pneumatic Cutoff
- SO Air Saw
- And of course the infamous SO Air Hammer, it really is the absolute best on the market, I think everyone agrees.

I use a HF blow gun and Amflo air chuck.

It boiled down to this for me, IR is known to have issues when even a little water is in the lines and just corrodes out the guts, and you have your 2 year warranty and that's it, if you run into bad luck or moisture in the lines (which you will in almost every pro shop) you are buying a new gun with the IR. With the SO you get the same warranty, plus the dealer rebuild program, which is just a fraction of the cost of replacing a gun. Not to mention SO gives you a loaner gun during a rebuild.

For my air tools, I have the following:

- MG725 1/2" Impact
- IR (forgot model number) 3/8" Impact
- Craftsman 3/8" Air Ratchet (was only like 29.99 but it's a beast and has been reliable as all hell)
- Craftsman 1/4" Air Ratchet (also a beast and reliable)
- Chicago Pneumatic Die Angle
- Chicago Pneumatic Cutoff
- SO Air Saw
- And of course the infamous SO Air Hammer, it really is the absolute best on the market, I think everyone agrees.

I use a HF blow gun and Amflo air chuck.

If i was a pro i might spring for a snap on. But thats alot of money for a impact. I dont have the most dry air ever but i oil mine before ever use that may be why i havnt had problems. If i had to by a 2nd gun you cant beat the aircat for price point. They are the OEM for MAC and i wanna say cornwell

I have the air cat 1100k 1/2 impact and the air cat 3/8 impact. I use them everyday as a VW Technican and I love them. I also have the air cat 1/4 air ratchet and 3/8 air drill. All of those are very quiet compared to other air tools.

Great responses yall. I appreciate the input.

One deciding factor is noise level. I've always used and been around normal (loud) impact guns. Have any of you bought and just fell in love with the quiteness of the lower decibal guns?

One deciding factor is noise level. I've always used and been around normal (loud) impact guns. Have any of you bought and just fell in love with the quiteness of the lower decibal guns?

If you are talking about the 2135QTiMax, it's definitely quiet, but it does suffer power loss to achieve that. Might not matter as much to a DIYer, but in the shop it would be noticeable.

The Aircat is super quiet. All their tools are. My IR is loud as hell it dosnt bother me but im sure my neighbors disagree. Mine isnt the quite tool version.

Yea the loudness doesn't bother me much either, and I dont want to sacrifice power to achieve that either.

What about the plastic on the composite guns? Has anyone had a problem with them breaking?

Snap-On electric is all I own now. Come to think of it I really do not have any air tools other than some die grinders and the such.
The CT7850 1/2" electric gun is a beast.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back