1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

idles then stalls when given gas??

Posted by farmboy108, May 28, 2007

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. farmboy108

farmboy108 Probationary Member

Joined Jun 17, 2006
    dover, New York
    I finally got a used engine in my 99 gs and it started right up. It idles a little rough then smoothes out, but no matter what as soon as i hit the gas it struggles and then dies out. I have been told to check the vaccum hoses but i didnt see any place where they had holes or were broken. Any suggestions for what to look for? Thanks

2. Grant711

Grant711 Probationary Member

Joined Sep 26, 2007
    Evansville, Indiana
    If I try to give it any gas at all the afr goes all the way lean and it will die. Checked isc and it was bad replaced it now idles better and lower about 900 rpm but still dies when I touch the pedal. Disconnected the maf and it will rev up but a little rough. Also reset ecm. I have added alot of parts lately but it was running great.

I need help haven't been able to drive my car for 3 days.

3. Grant711

Joined Sep 26, 2007
    Evansville, Indiana
    Did you figure it out? I have the same problem.

4. 1gDSM4g63

1gDSM4g63 Proven Member

Joined Aug 28, 2007
    San Jose, California
    Most like it's TPS or ISC controller. Get a Haynes manual for you car at a location auto shop and that will show you how to test it or search the forums about that topic.

821  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  5. Ajax

Ajax Proven Member

Joined Nov 13, 2003
    Sioux Center, Iowa
    420a does not have an ISC but a IAC and yes check those two sensors and fuel filter. Also spark plugs (gapped right) and test coil and spark wire resistance.

605  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    manual · 2G DSM
  6. bluestreak9999

bluestreak9999 Proven Member

Joined Jul 27, 2005
    Pulaski, Tennessee
    What mods have you added lately? Try backtracking on what you have done. Other than that I would check the translator settings and if that doesn't help try a different MAF sensor. Also check for any vacuum/boost leaks.

221  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  7. livedsm4g63

livedsm4g63 Proven Member

Joined Mar 1, 2008
    Auburn Hills, Michigan
    fpr? when you hit the gas it may be stuck open, not allowing the pressure to build up in the system. or you may have a leak somewhere.

1K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.495 @ 124.750 · 1G DSM
  8. Grant711

Joined Sep 26, 2007
    Evansville, Indiana
    I changed some stuff on my maft gen II that I didn't know about. Reset it now runs great again.

9. Grant711

Joined Sep 26, 2007
    Evansville, Indiana
    You called it. I somehow changed a few things on the gen II translator on accident. Runs great again. Thanks.

10. eclipse420ags

eclipse420ags Proven Member

Joined Feb 20, 2010
    Martinez, Georgia
    Having a similar issue, my car has sitting for about a year now and wouldnt crank dumped gas replaced filter and strainer on fuel pump. Now it idles fine but when given gas it start to die. When I try to rev it via throttle body i here backfire. Any input would be great. Thanks.

11. eclipse420ags

eclipse420ags Proven Member

Joined Feb 20, 2010
    Martinez, Georgia
    Anybody? Are there certain sensors that will go bad if they sit for a year?