The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

I want to go faster

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redturbo66

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
My GST won't go over 120mph. What do I need to do to fix this PROBLEM?

Originally posted by redturbo66

Remove the speed limiter.

Originally posted by out there
not try to go over 120, plain and simple.

I definately agree. don't see any reason to go that fast.
Just remove the speed limiter, but know that there is a good risk of tearing parts up by putting that type of strain on your car.

Originally posted by redturbo66

Umm, I wanna go faster too

here are my suggestions:
1) buy a Ferrari Enzo that'll get you up to 200+mph :p

2) Dont speed its illegal (ok i speed too)

3) just do what these other guys just said -- I helped a friend do it with his 96 Eclipse gs-t and we (ok he i was more or less watching :p) screwed up and he had to get a new ECU so be careful... dont get carless

have fun -- drive safe

Oh my god.

Please tell me you are kidding? I don't have the governor on my car anymore, and guess what? I still keep it well under 130 (I can't lie and say I don't hit it once in a while). I've never driven that fast for more than a second or two.

Does anyone remember the thread where a kid was asking the same thing, how to get his car to go faster...and then nothing was heard from him again until another thread was posting linking to a new report of a kid dying when he lost control at a high rate of speed? It wasn't a coincidence.

At the very least I hope you are running Z rated tires and have your brakes and suspension in good working order.

-T

Originally posted by KPWSerpiente

Does anyone remember the thread where a kid was asking the same thing, how to get his car to go faster...and then nothing was heard from him again until another thread was posting linking to a new report of a kid dying when he lost control at a high rate of speed? It wasn't a coincidence.
-T
Was that on this site?

does removing the speed governer harm anything in its self. Like will it hurt anything, by just takign it out. or is it only the strain of the engine/brakes/etc that is put on by going over the set speed? isnt the governer set at like 134 anyway?:confused:

Nope it definately won't harm anything just by removing it, but it won't do any good unless you plan on taking advantage of it's absence ;)

i've had my car up to 135...back in the "im stupid and go fast days" but it was still pulling...very slowly but it was still pulling, do the 1g's even have a speed limiter?

Originally posted by KPWSerpiente

I remember that, KPW :(

If you MUST speed, at least be smart about it. Much like anything else in life.

Also, remember that not all the variables are under your control. :cool:

Okay, you guys convinced me. There really is no reason to be going that fast especially if I have to start tearing apart my computer to make it happen.

Even if you dont die. Its real hard on your car and if you get caught you'll lose your license. Acceleration is a rush, top speed testing is dangerous.

Originally posted by n0va91TSI
Even if you dont die. Its real hard on your car and if you get caught you'll lose your license. Acceleration is a rush, top speed testing is dangerous.

True. Car and Driver lost an editor/tester on a high speed run in a very nice car ( Porsche? ). Acceleration is fun, top speed is scary. A car can stop from 60 in around 130 feet, but at 70 it goes to above 200 feet ( most cars ). I think at around 160mph or so, it take 700 feet to stop, and thats with Baer 14 inch 4 pistons brakes. Can't imagine how long it takes for our poor little 10 inch single pistons wonders to stop the car. Brakes, suspension, tires. Make sure those are in good shape.

I could see only 3 real reasons to remove the speed limiter:
a) outrun cops
b) outrun enemies
c) chase someone

None which are healthy.:thumb:

4) to see how fast you can get your tires going while sliding around a parking lot full of ice?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back