The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

I need trans help ASAP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstballa 42

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2010
paulina, Louisiana
on my way home from school today i i started to hear a whining in my 5 speed transmission. it only occurs in 3,4 and im not to sure about 5th. when i got home i wanted to see if it also had problems with reverse. when i moved my shifter to the right i felt a grind and it was literally stuck there. i could shift to 5th/R without a problem and didnt hear the noise in reverse in reverse either. im thinking my 3/4 syncro is going out but if that was the case then why am i having the problems with 5th/R? first thing in the morning ill check the tranny fluid but any incite would be helpful. t

im pretty sure im just going to ship my trans off and get it rebuilt. Im thinking of going with dogbox racing but im not entirely sure. i already have a lsd so im thinking whatever company i go with, i shouldn't need anymore than there stage one. Any suggestions?

NJ resident, less then an hour away from dogbox racing. They do awesome work!

The 1-5 use helical gears which are designed to not make noise while rpms increase. Reverse is a spear gears, thats why it whine when the rpms increase.

You are stating that you do not hear a whining in reverse. Is that because it is a different type of whining then our reverse gears produce?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back