The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

I need a stronger transfer case!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

All this talk of switchable transfer cases makes me want one! : ) Especially since we have a new dyna-pack in town. Can't wait to get this damn car on the road and onto the dyno.

Originally posted by GRNDSM
In ’93 all Mitsubishi’s switched to 7 bolt cranks, so all Spyders had 7 bolt motors… If they tell you otherwise, they might not know Mitsu's as well they might claim...
I used a bad example. make that like a block form an old Mighty Max pickup. They used a 6 bolt 2.4 ltr.

4G64 (the 2.4L motor) is considered a “strocker” motor by DSM crowd because it has longer stroke than 4G63 (2.0L) and slightly larger bore. So when you stroke 4G64, you end-up with what I call a “strocked strocker” :). Now, the question becomes: Why would you do that? Is 2.4L motor build-up is not tough enough?
The 4g64 has a taller deck and a little more clearence. It requires a custom piston and rod combo to even come close to being right. And BTW, it's never enuff.:thumb:

I this shop is confident in their ability to build a 2.6L motor, they must be even better at building 2.4L motors. Whatever extra stroke you might get with 2.6L is NOT WORTH the RISK of having a motor blow up on you!!! If you have any control over these people, I would recommend telling them to build you a 2.4L (if you must have something with longer stroke).
This is the 1st Mitsubishi 4g64 2.6 stroker they are attempting. They have built many other storkers in the past and all different kinds and sizes. They believe the 2.6 will work, and I am not leting the block in my engine bay until I'm convinced that it'll work. I'm not jumping in totally blind, I'm just playing it by ear. I have a 2.4 and 2.0 block waiting for backups. i still could go with a 2.3 stroker from the 4g63 block or do a straight 4g64 swap. I'm still weighing the options.

MJ

Just as another point of reference, I have had no problems with my JDM transfer case and tranny (besides leaking seals). Then again, I don't pound the crap out of my car at the drag strip (like Leon) and I am not putting the tons of torque (like Leon).....yet.

So about the JDM switchable transfer case now. You guys are saying that it is going to be stronger than the USDM Tcase that's on my 2G now? Wouldn't it be the other way around, the JDM Tcase being weaker because of the extra parts inside? And since it's a 22 spline it is the aluminum bodied Tcase? I'm really thinking about getting one of these for the convenience of switching to FWD mode for dynoing, but it would be cool if I could just leave it on the car for the track too! Sorry about bringing up the month old thread.

I "suspect" that JDM transfer case is stronger in area of the shaft that usually brakes on US transfer cases. The additional parts might be weaker, but that has not been noticed by anyone yet.

Here is a problem for you... '97-'99 transfer cases have different ratios, so you can not use JDM t-case with your tranny.

Leon
RR

Well shit, that's no good. What would I have to change to make that xfer case work on a 2G? I have a TRE center diff spool in the tranny if that makes any difference. So I'm gonna guess that the difference is either the Tcase will not turn the driveshaft fast enough, or too fast? Enlighten me if you can. Thanks.

I used to know the exact drivetrain parts that were different on ‘97+ cars (my friend bought a ’97 tranny for his ’95 AWD and learned all this the hard way…). This was a couple of years ago, so I am not as well versed at it. As I recall, you will need to change just about everyone (tranny, transfer case and rear end).

Leon
RR

Ok well that is definitely something that I'm NOT going to do. I have no need to swap out my complete drivetrain to have that switchable Xfer case. So would it work if I just swapped in that Xfer case for FWD mode only? And still be able to drive the car just FWD? I'm thinking that it would be possible, but would like to hear from someone who knows ;)

I already got one, but thanks for the offer.

So does anyone know if it would be possible to use some of the parts out of the JDM switchable transfer case and put them in the 97 transfer case to make that one switchable? I am going to try to look into it more when the Tcase arrives. I bet it wouldn't be too hard for some place like TRE to make a kit like this!

Originally posted by treimche
I already got one, but thanks for the offer.

So does anyone know if it would be possible to use some of the parts out of the JDM switchable transfer case and put them in the 97 transfer case to make that one switchable? I am going to try to look into it more when the Tcase arrives. I bet it wouldn't be too hard for some place like TRE to make a kit like this!

how would swapping the internals make it work? i'm betting money that it'll bolt up(given the output shaft is the same spline). the problem being is gear ratio,you'd have to replace the internals.. if you swapped them,you'd get just what you had.

how would swapping the internals make it work? i'm betting money that it'll bolt up(given the output shaft is the same spline). the problem being is gear ratio,you'd have to replace the internals.. if you swapped them,you'd get just what you had.

I didn't mean to swap all the internals, just part of it and then still use the 2G parts that will give the correct gear ratio. I took the switchable xfer case apart last night, and it's very simple how it works. Now I just have to take the 2G t case apart and see how much difference there is. I'll post up the results.

Why dont you just get the 2.7 stroker?
Because that was another $1000 and twice the wait to get it!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back