The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

I need a new turbo...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwiftKidGSX

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2003
Cerritos, California
And I know that this question is asked about everyday but I see why people would ask it since I am in there shoes now. I am not a turbo guru dude so I want some opinions from you DSM'ers :cool: . This is my set up and my goal is have something that will out do the 20g but still be a street able car. For a long time I have been interested to get the FP3065 but I am not sure if what I am thinking will be over kill. :| The next thing that I was planning on getting was the EMS but this happened...

My current setup so you won’t have to see my profile...

Engine - 20g ported-clipped - 6 bolt - Tial 36mm External Waste Gate - 660's Denso injectors - 2.5": 3" RRE DP - 3" Test pipe - Apexi N1 - ACT2600 - Fidenza Flywheel - Walbro Fuel Pump - BIG Greddy FMIC - Greddy Type S BOV - Magnecore Wires - Greddy Profec B - Apexi S-AFC - Zeitronix Wide Band - Magnus Intake Manifold - Custom IC Pipping

Internals - HKS 264/272's - 95 Pistons (020 over) - Removed Balance Shafts - Mitsu Metal 3 Layer Head Gasket - ARP Rod and Head Bolts - Ported 1g head (Stage 2) - S/S Swirl Polished 1mm Oversized Valves (Nitride) - Crower Spring And Retainer

Money will not be an issue so trough at me which ever turbo you think will deem best :)

My goals are to have a low 12sec to mid 11.5 sec street car.

Thanks for anybody’s input. It’s really appreciated. :) :dsm: :)

CanadianTSi said:
I see no reason why the 20g can't get you your goal.

a 20g would easily be able to get you to your goal. Is there a reason you need a new turbo? or do you just feel that you need a new one? what are you using for fuel managment at the moment? I noticed you mentioned aem ems(which is a great system by the way I have it on my car and can't ever see runnign anythign else), well I just rearead your mods and see that you have an safc. If you are looking to get into the low 12's high elevens you could do it with an safc but would be easier if you bought a more advanced type of fuel set up.

Edit: you also mention streetable alot. what is a streetable turbo to you?

Guys thanks for the quick reply. :)

The reason why I am getting a new turbo is because the 20g that I have now is busted. It's getting me around places, but its leaking oil into my coolant system. I just spent a crap load of money thinking it was the head and got it all upgraded and well the problem still persist (New head, and checked the oil cooler). So the only other thing that it can be will be the turbo.

CanadianTSi – Yes you are completely right but I just want something different…I am tired of my 20g and want a different flavor. :)

98eclipseRS - GOD I have heard nothing but incredible things about EMS and that’s why I want to get it and also to release the full power potential the car has to offer. What I mean a street able turbo, I guess I am saying I want something more powerful then the 20g and have the same spool up characteristics, I know that I am going to suffer somewhat for the trade-off but do you know what I mean...I don’t want a too laggy of a turbo cause then the car will be no fun on the streets…and also I want something that will dyno in around 500whp…and easily +500whp on C16 of course =)

Thanks Guys and Happy Veterans Day! :)

SwiftKidGSX said:
98eclipseRS - GOD I have heard nothing but incredible things about EMS and that’s why I want to get it and also to release the full power potential the car has to offer. What I mean a street able turbo, I guess I am saying I want something more powerful then the 20g and have the same spool up characteristics, I know that I am going to suffer somewhat for the trade-off but do you know what I mean...I don’t want a too laggy of a turbo cause then the car will be no fun on the streets…and also I want something that will dyno in around 500whp…and easily +500whp on C16 of course =)

Thanks Guys and Happy Veterans Day! :)

WEll let me just tell you its eveything people say it to be and more, easily the greatest mod I have ever purchased for my car. I will be taking the aem class soon so that I will be certified by aem to tune it, and will also be located in their database(hopefully) but so far it has been just amazing. YOu can do everythign and I mean everythign. Right now I have it set to control my boost through a gm boost seloniod, and get this the greatest thing is that since I am fwd I can make the boost speed dependant. so I can have a different level of boost for each half a gear if I wanted to.

As for the turbo I understand. I don't know how much lag is to much for you, but I will be running a gt-40 on my car with the "stage 5" turbine wheel from agp. Full boost with 272's front and back should be about 4k rpm(this is 26 psi we are talking about). And it should be able to pull hard to 9k to me that's a very streetable turbo in my opinion. My opinion would be to call a vendor and ask them about yoru goal and see what they recomend. A really good person I talked to was kevin at agp he was a tremendous help and was really helpful in getting me my turbo their and back to me in a very limited time frame.

Burnett03 said:

60-1 is way to much of a race gas turbo, I have yet to see people consistantly turn out good power number on pump on the 60. I would recomend somethign with a more efficient comp wheel. A 50 trim with a huge turbine side would work better.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back