The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

i have flashable ecu

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtodsm97gst

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 23, 2011
Lewisville, Texas
i have a 97 gst and an extra 98 flashable ecu, what else do I need to complete the set up. dsmlink is too expensive. so pls tell me all the tools and equipment i need.

Last edited:
thanks that explains alot..

No problem :thumb:

One thing I forgot to mention that you may have to do a teeny bit of wiring to get the reflash adapter to work with the earlier 2g's. Hopefully someone else will chime in and verify this...or you will verify it yourself somewhere in those threads:D

That's good info i didn't know you could do anything with the later 2g ecus

Sure can or an Evo's ecu could be used as well

So with this, you don't need to have a socketed ecu? And how do you know if your ecu is flashable?

No need for socketing here. It's a flashable ecu right out of the box. Like gsxeclipse97 said it's a black (and plastic case) ecu.

And how do you know if your ecu is flashable?

Theres some info and part numbers that explain which ECUs are flashable in this thread.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/413710-flashable-black-box-ecu.html

Make sure to read that entire thread that Ceddy made. Some GREAT info in there. Sure its long, but its definite worth it. My advice though, find an Evo guy or someone who is using this software to sit and help you. I couldnt for the life of me figure it out by myself and my only Evo buddy moved before I got the stuff I needed.

I'm sure for about $200 more than what that cable costs, if you look around you can find yourself an eprom ecu with link installed in it.

dont forget, when you put in the black box ecu your firing order changes. make sure you swap out your plugs into the right cylinders.

He has a 97, there is no need to change anything for firing order. that is only for 95-96.

For a 97 you will have to add a pin to the ecu that goes to a headphone style connector that clips into the tactrix cable.

I would suggest you read ceddys posts about the 1.3 openport cable you can find on ebay for 13 ish dollars they are nice to keep in the car for datalogging with evoscan.

a wideband is a must for any tunning done to any vehicle.

i have yet to run speed density on ceddy mods but it seams to be much more work to get it properly adjusted than ecmlink (i do not have ecm link i have just been playing with the program to get used to everything before i purchase it)

really there isnt as much support for the flashable ecus and since ceddy seems to have slowed down on his development of his ceddymods there is even less support.

personally i would save up for ecmlink or join a few evo forums (maybe even subaru) and look for a used tactrix 2.0 cable.

hope this helps

dont forget, when you put in the black box ecu your firing order changes. make sure you swap out your plugs into the right cylinders.

You only have to do that on the 95-96 cars bolts in on the 97+

Its also easy to make an adapter harness for the 95-96 cars and run the 97+ cas.

Or buy and or build a cam angle sensor adapter for the 1g CAS.

Last edited:
I'm sure for about $200 more than what that cable costs, if you look around you can find yourself an eprom ecu with link installed in it.

:barf:Speculation doesn't help. No need to be a link fanboy. No need to go on about "finding" some rare deal. He could "find" a tactrix cable for $50, so that doesn't help.:ohdamn:

To OP the costs vary but this is basicly it:
Tactrix cable- $180 (with the Mitsubishi reflash adapter)
Logger- (can be any program/setup, but evoscan works with the tactrix cable) evoscan- $25
ecuflash software- FREE
Ceddymods- Free -$30 (depending if you want extra features or not)

All in all, a much better deal than ECM link, but less support:hmm:
ECM link= support
Ecuflash= Bargain

:confused:They all do the same thing. Don't listen to people who complain about ecuflash not having as many features, it isnt true. They have everything you could want and more.
antilag/2 step/speed density/NLTS (no lift to shift)/ map switching/ enhanced boost control

good luck tuning
:rocks:

I've racked up a few hours tinkering with ceddymods myself and I will definately say that this route takes some serious homework. This path is NOT for the faint of heart. As someone said earlier, it would be a huge timesaver to locate an individual who has some previous ecuflash experience. Im not trying to scare you away as this is a very educational route, but this is by no means a plug-n-play event. Take your time and read, read, read. Once you get your tactrix hardware and ecuflash/evoscan software talking, there are some evoscan tutorials on youtube that are very informative. Good luck bro.

Edit: I found the youtube play list for the evoscan tutorials. These videos are for an evo, but most of the fuel and timing map information will cross over.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=13C9F1BF5C03E946&hd=1

The 98/99 is flashable it's a black ecu.

thats what i have.

I've racked up a few hours tinkering with ceddymods myself and I will definately say that this route takes some serious homework. This path is NOT for the faint of heart. As someone said earlier, it would be a huge timesaver to locate an individual who has some previous ecuflash experience. Im not trying to scare you away as this is a very educational route, but this is by no means a plug-n-play event. Take your time and read, read, read. Once you get your tactrix hardware and ecuflash/evoscan software talking, there are some evoscan tutorials on youtube that are very informative. Good luck bro.

Edit: I found the youtube play list for the evoscan tutorials. These videos are for an evo, but most of the fuel and timing map information will cross over.

Intro to EcuFlash (How to Tune an Evo) - YouTube

thanks.

He has a 97, there is no need to change anything for firing order. that is only for 95-96.

For a 97 you will have to add a pin to the ecu that goes to a headphone style connector that clips into the tactrix cable.

I would suggest you read ceddys posts about the 1.3 openport cable you can find on ebay for 13 ish dollars they are nice to keep in the car for datalogging with evoscan.

a wideband is a must for any tunning done to any vehicle.

i have yet to run speed density on ceddy mods but it seams to be much more work to get it properly adjusted than ecmlink (i do not have ecm link i have just been playing with the program to get used to everything before i purchase it)

really there isnt as much support for the flashable ecus and since ceddy seems to have slowed down on his development of his ceddymods there is even less support.

personally i would save up for ecmlink or join a few evo forums (maybe even subaru) and look for a used tactrix 2.0 cable.

hope this helps

1.3 openport cable you can find on ebay for 13 ish dollars, I cant find it in ebay, theres 1 for like 150 dollars. what am I looking for?

it should log thru evoscan, i have the lc-1 and it logged in thru my rear 02 sensor. in ceddys files he has the xml file for evoscan that has the formulas for loggin widebands. its been over a year since my car even ran so i can't remember exactly how to do it unfortunatly. hopefully someone who has done this recently can help you.

i swapped a black box ecu into my 97 and had to change the firing order otherwise it wouldn't start.

:barf:Speculation doesn't help. No need to be a link fanboy. No need to go on about "finding" some rare deal. He could "find" a tactrix cable for $50, so that doesn't help.:ohdamn:

To OP the costs vary but this is basicly it:
Tactrix cable- $180 (with the Mitsubishi reflash adapter)
Logger- (can be any program/setup, but evoscan works with the tactrix cable) evoscan- $25
ecuflash software- FREE
Ceddymods- Free -$30 (depending if you want extra features or not)

All in all, a much better deal than ECM link, but less support:hmm:
ECM link= support
Ecuflash= Bargain

:confused:They all do the same thing. Don't listen to people who complain about ecuflash not having as many features, it isnt true. They have everything you could want and more.
antilag/2 step/speed density/NLTS (no lift to shift)/ map switching/ enhanced boost control

good luck tuning
:rocks:

Or use an Evo 8 ECU, and you'll have more support than you could ever need at evolutionm.net

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back