The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

HX40 questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHEARER_TSI

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 23, 2008
Oil City, Pennsylvania
Ok so a friend of mine has a 1G with a 2.3L his car had a 20G on it but it was broken into and they stole the turbo. He is looking for suggestions on possible upgrades/replacement turbos. I was thinking that for the money (he is on a budget) that the hx 35 or 40 is pretty hard to beat. What all is involved in putting one on a 1G assuming that he gets a bep dsm flanged housing? Are they internally gated or externally gated?

Wait, someone broke into your friend's car, popped the hood, and unbolted everything required to pull a turbo, without anyone noticing?

In any event, there's a ton of information everywhere about what you can and can't do with Holsets, including the Holset threads here. The BEP housings are all for externally gated turbos, though your Holset may come internally gated. With a BEP bolt on housing all you need is the wastegate setup and it'll go right where the old one was, though you'll probably need a larger intake pipe.

You also never posted the budget..

Well it's a long story but the car was park for an extended period of time in a fenced in parking lot. They took all the intercooler piping gauges etc. So the budget is a hard thing to pin point. He wants to try and stay with a mitsu flanged turbo. He was running his wastegate off the manifold. "With a BEP bolt on housing all you need is the wastegate setup and it'll go right where the old one was" what do you mean by that?

I mean all you need is a wastegate setup and the turbo will go right where the old turbo was..

Wait, someone broke into your friend's car, popped the hood, and unbolted everything required to pull a turbo, without anyone noticing?

I don't doubt it. My friends garage was completely cleaned out by thieves. They even took his big tool box on wheels.

Most hx35's and 40's with the stock exhaust housings are internally gated. If you're on the cheap, you can go with the internal gate. Otherwise a nice external would be the better choice. 35's and some 40's are t3 flanged and other 40's are t4.
Bolt on housings can be had with a mitsu flange or a t3. You also have the option to have internal or external wastegate with the bolt on housings.

Read up on the oiling. Some feed from the head, others from the ofh. You may need a restrictor in the line. The line from the turbo to the oil pan should be BIG.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about anything.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back