The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

420A How to shim a slave cylinder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Bell

Proven Member
Aug 15, 2014
Levant, Maine
I installed a new south bend stage 2 modular clutch for my 2g, replaced throw out bearing, clutch fork, slave cylinder, and master cylinder. Bled the entire thing for hours and hours, and csnnca get it into gear what so ever. The car will go into gear fine with engine off, very smooth. But with engine running it's like hitting a wall with the shifter. The slave cylinder seems to be moving a whole lot, around an inch. And I already adjusted the master cylinder rod to it's max for the most amount of pedal movement. I'm all out of ideas except for the fact that maybe because the pressure plate is heavier, the slave is having a hard time compressing the springs fully. So I have heard of shiming the slave cylinder but I don't know how to do this successfully. Anyone with any ideas would be helpful! I just want to get my car running again!

I have a stage 3 non modular south bend in my 420a and I didn’t have to do anything unique to the hydraulic system. You have to still have air in the line.

A trick I learned on here is after you get done bleeding the line, open the bleed valve as you push the slave cylinder in. Then with the slave still pushed in close the bleed valve. Then guide the slave into position. This worked for me in the past when I installed my new slave and master cylinders.

I have a stage 3 non modular south bend in my 420a and I didn’t have to do anything unique to the hydraulic system. You have to still have air in the line.

A trick I learned on here is after you get done bleeding the line, open the bleed valve as you push the slave cylinder in. Then with the slave still pushed in close the bleed valve. Then guide the slave into position. This worked for me in the past when I installed my new slave and master cylinders.
I've tried this a few times, all fluid and no air bubbles. I can only push the slave cylinder rod in about a half inch anyway, so it doesnt really do much. How many times did you have to push the slave in? Also my slave cylinder is completely compressed in it's resting position. As if there is no "pre-load" on the clutch fork. The fork is sitting right straight in the middle of rubber boot on the bell housing. not sure if this is correct.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back