The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Cracked Exedy slave cylinder

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLACK'98DSM

5+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
A few nights back I was out for a ride and race in my Eclipse. It was my first time truly opening the car up since my recent modifications. I was in the middle of absolutely smoking an SS S10 when I suddenly lost all clutch pressure when shifting into 3rd. Immediately I took it out of gear and killed the engine. Popped the hood and got out to diagnose, I checked the clutch fluid reservoir and it was empty. Looked down and saw fluid all over the crossmember and that the slave cylinder was cracked wide open.

2 or 3 years ago I put an Exedy slave cylinder on it. I've trusted Exedy products for a long time and never had a single issue from them, until now. I was just curious if this is something you guys have ever experienced, or if mine just had a casting defect. Or maybe my clutch pressures were way too high for an OEM replacement part. With how quickly I was mashing the pedal down. I'm also wondering if it has something to do with the stiffer pressure plate I have. It's only a stage 1, but takes a noticeably larger amount of force to push the pedal and possibly that was over-stressing the slave cylinder.

For now I bought one from RockAuto just to get the car moving again soon. But if anyone knows of an upgraded slave cylinder let me know. Or if anyone who runs theirs hard has a good replacement recommendation let me know too. Thanks. It's embarrassing to be winning the race and then suddenly they catch up because you can't shift into 4th. Lol

it should have blown out the seals before the casting broke.

im sure you have taken one apart before. there isnt much that can messup besides the seals.
i mean shit there is only a piston with 2 seals and a spring.
i'd say it was a defect in the casting.
It was probably made in china and you just cant trust anything made in china to be that reliable.

like i always say:
If you use enough lube, you can make it fit
:thumb:

it probably is better quality.
i have a spare (never used or installed) slave that has been sitting in my parts cabinet for like 10 years. it came from autozone. the piece of shit boot was falling apart just from sitting there. i keep my garage heated and cooled too so its not like it was exposed to any extreme temps. or anything.
anyways.
i also have a used slave off a parts car that is at least 4 or 5 years older, if not more, that the shitty one. its been sitting right next to the POS AutoZone one. The boot on it is a little dirty but other than that, its in great shape.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back