The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

how to remove viscous coupler on a awd auto

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blazinglaser_90

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 24, 2005
uniontown, Pennsylvania
Hey guys

I have a 1g auto awd and i am looking to get the viscous coupler out of the trans to get the case cleaned before i rebuild it. I can't seem to get it out, have the center diff out, i took out the small bolt where the valve body is that is like a set screw into the center diff/ viscous coupler area but i can't get it to budge. Any idea's if you need i can take pictures of what i am speaking up

thanks
Kevin

What you're referring to is the center bearing support. It should have some threaded holes so you can get a bolt in there to pull it out. Once you have removed the center bearing support the VC just slides right out. It can be a little difficult to remove if you get it cocked sideways in the bore.

Attachments

• Centersupport.jpg
    Centersupport.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 679
^Where did you get that page, I looked in my copy of the manual and I couldn't find it anywhere.

Pull the retainer plate under the diff once it's out. You need x2 m6 threaded rods and it will pull out, then the vc will come out and you can disassemble the rest of the parts to strip the case.

You will see the two threaded holes on retainer plate, that's where you screw in the threaded rods, lay a piece of flat bar with 2 holes the same spacing as the holes in the retainer plate, then drop the flat bar over the rods, throw some nuts on the rods and evenly pull the plate up. It pulls up easily, and you only need to pull the plate up a couple inches before it comes out by hand.

Old thread. One thing I always wondered is what would happen if you don't put that little screw back in.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back