The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

How to properly protect/install your tubular manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With lots of deliberation about the myths and processes of tubular manifolds, I've decided to take some pictures along with my DNP tubular manifold installation. Many say that tubular manifolds crack/break/etc but this simply is not the case. If you buy a bad quality, bad welded, etc type of manifold, then YES, it will break. No brainer there. I have chosen a used DNP manifold from a local guy and will be running it this season.

In my process, I have decided to do cover all measures in order to preserve the longevity of my DNP manifold. Many have argued that the welds will crack, that wrapping will rust, etc. Here is what I did, and if you don't like it, sorry. I am confident that it will last throughout many seasons to come.

1. Your standard used DNP manifold.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

2. Cleaned and sprayed with VHT 2500*F silver paint

3. Heat wrapped using 1"x50' DEI heat wrap and then sprayed with DEI silver high temp silicon spray to deter water/ water trapping.

4. Old ported 2g manifold removed, and the battle that occured thereafter.

This is with a PTE BB5031RLE turbo used for 4k miles, brand new 7cm SS gasket, brand new OEM turbo bolts, and lots and lots of antiseize. For whatever reason, turbo studs like to strip inside the housing.

5. Run a tap through your turbine housing. Retapping the threads will ensure good grip and less problems in the future if you choose to remove your manifold for whatever reason.

Results

That is the problem thread by the way, GOOD AS NEW!

6. 4 automotive studs purchased at ACE hardware.

7. Installed with the studs, antiseize, and 7cm gasket.

8. Bolt her on the housing first with a lock washer and nut. VOILA!

update:

This manifold has gone [email protected] with me and it has done it's job. Sadly, the manifold weld only lasted 2,000 miles and one trip to the track. So I stand corrected! Even DNP quality can crack. Safe to say, instead of fighting with constant welding, I now have an FP race manifold on my car.

Just my .02, this manifold gave off WAY TOO MUCH heat. It radiated so much heat that it decommissioned/melted FOUR slimline fans and started to yellow my carbon hood. So much that I fabbed a heat shield and purchased a hood heat shield.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back