The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

How to install air filter on your 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is one of the most basic of all things. Surprisingly there isn't a writeup for it here on DSMTuners. There are the old, yet effective VFAQs, but another one can't hurt with a few more pics.

Tools needed:
- 10mm combo wrench or wratchet w/10mm socket
- new nuts/bolts/washer if filter kit did not come with new ones
- Depending on the new bolts you get, you either use the same as above, or in my case 11mm size of the above.

The picture below shows how your stock airbox should look. The white square boxes show the areas that need attention brought to. 4 Clips on the airbox which should easily be removed by your finger tips. If you are having trouble with the one by the coolant overflow bottle, lift up the bottle and it should come right up to give you more room. MAS sensor plug; just press down and pull it out. The clamp holding the intake pipe to the MAS. The size on that should be 10mm, if it's loose enough you can even use a philips screwdriver.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Next you take the filter adapter that came with your kit and attach it to the MAS. Mine may look different from yours, but they all install the same way. My kit did not come with new nuts and bolts, so I bought some new ones from home depot. This time arond though, the head of the bolt is 11mm, so adjust your tools accodingly. If yours came with a gasket of some sort like mine did, put it in between the filter adapter and the MAS. Double check to make sure everything is seated flat, and tighten the bolts. Attach the filter and tighten the clamp.

Now the top of the airbox and the MAS should easily be removed. Once you remove that, also remove that drop in filter. Next up there are 4 10mm nuts that you have to remove. The picture below shows one side. Remove 2 on each side. With those removed, the MAS should seperate from the top of the airbox.

I did not remove the bottom half of the factory airbox. You could do so. I did not, because it looks somewhat stock. The bottom half also has a nice airduct from the side fender as you can see from the picture. It also allows the filter to sit on something if it did not come with a bracket like the K&N FPIK. You can easily slip the MAS back into the intake pipe and tighten the clamp.

Double check your install and make sure you tightened everything.
Make sure you don't leave any tools in the engine bay.
Some people like to reset their ECU before they take it for a test drive.
Take it for a test drive.

---------
EXTRA

If you are curious about the filter/adapter kit I got, it is a vehicle specific filter/adapter kit from EBAY. It was less than $20 shipped, and I had to pay CA state tax. It came very fast, packaged very well, and the products were good and did the job. What can I compare it to? Well, I have the K&N FPIK on my 50 trim GSX. The nice things about the K&N FPIK are it has CARB sticker, it has a mounting bracket so the filter doesnt sit limp on the frame (thus the reason I kept the bottom off the stock airbox), and it's a brand name. The EBAY filter is also nice, the biggest feature is the price, <$20 compared to $100. If your modifying your car pretty extreme, the CARB sticker helps, as you MIGHT be able to use it for your entire INTAKE system, including INTERCOOLER pipes :). Besides having no CARB sticker, the only thing that might bother people is the filter adapter is plastic and its reduced to 3". There are others out there that are aluminum and have a 5" opening. But in conclusion, it does the job, for cheap, very cheap.

I also did a review/install how to on a full intake system for 2G turbos, which utilizes the same filter adapter as the one included in this kit.
http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237864

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back