1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

How much do you think a shop would charge to replace 1 axle seal?

Posted by my95tsi, Oct 9, 2005

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. my95tsi

my95tsi Proven Member

Joined Dec 6, 2002
    Chicago, Illinois
    Ok well I had both my axle seals replaced about a year ago when i had my clutch installed. The right passenger one was leaking so my buddy and i replaced both. BTW my buddy owns a shop where he also replaced my clutch flywheel and installed my lsd. Anyways i noticied that later on down the road my axle seal even after replaced was still leaking but very slowly. Keep in mind the driver side seal is not leaking whatsoever. The passenger side leaks so slowly that even after months of leaking my tranny fluid was still full. It just causes a slight drip onto the lower crossmember. Anyways yesterday i noticed the bottom of my tranny was much more wet and there were a few more drips than i normally see. So i get under my car to inpect it further and notice my half of my axle seal is popped halfway out. How does that happen? Was it improperly installed the first time? I really don't know how one could almost pop out. So i just got a new job 3 months ago and i work ridiculous hours so i can't bring it to my buddy's shop since it is so far away from me. So i was wondering what a normal repair shop would charge for replacing a seal?

347  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. spyder97gs

spyder97gs Proven Member

Joined Dec 10, 2004
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Would cost about the same as having the axle replaced. It's easy to replace it though. I'd say they would charge you one hours labor.

3. suicidal2af

suicidal2af Proven Member

Joined Jul 31, 2004
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Do it yourself, it's easy.

Jack that side of the car up. Unbolt the lower and lateral control arms from the frame, unbolt the shock mount from the hub.

Get in there with a prybar, pop your axle out. Have a friend pull the hub back, you now have access to replace the seal.. Reverse the process to reassemble.

It's a 20 minute job if you've done it, 45 if you haven't. Paying 6 bucks and 45 minutes is better than paying a shop $60.

4. my95tsi

my95tsi Proven Member

Joined Dec 6, 2002
    Chicago, Illinois
    Yeah i'm debating doing it myself but i know the axle is not coming out from the hub so i have to do exactly what suicidal2af said. I called mitsu today. They said atleast $200 if it's not apin getting the axle out of the hub which i know it will. I know it takes 20 minutes tops on a lift but i don't have access to a lift right now.

347  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  5. spyder97gs

spyder97gs Proven Member

Joined Dec 10, 2004
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Yeah if the axle is seized to the hub, good luck. I took mine to a welder and it took him 45 minutes to cut it out using a torch. After that make sure to grease up the back of the hub on all sides where metal meets metal, with anti-seize or a high-temp grease.

6. suicidal2af

Joined Jul 31, 2004
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Leave it in the hub. Once you disconnect the control arms and damper fork, the whole hub will swing away from the transmission. Get under the car with a pry bar, pry away until it pops out, then physically pull the hub and the axle will slide out and down.

Also, it's only about 20 minutes with a floorjack.

1) Jack up that side of the car
    2) Insert jackstand
    3) Unbolt lower control arm from frame
    4) Unbolt lateral control arm from frame
    5) Unbolt damper fork
    6) Pry axle out
    7) Pull hub away from car(it will swing outward)
    8) Change seal
    9) Bolt everything back together, you're done.

7. my95tsi

my95tsi Proven Member

Joined Dec 6, 2002
    Chicago, Illinois
    Ok well i've decided to get down and dirty and do it myself, but i have to do it this friday. I do have two questions. First i bought a timken seal from autozone because it was only $5.50 and mitsu want more than double that and they had to special order it. Anyways the guy at autozone had trouble finding it on the computer (no suprise!). Anyways i told him to look under transmission seals and it showed differential and output shaft seals. So i was assuming it was the output shaft. Anyways it looked like the seal except it was black instead of blue, but will the timken one work fine? Also i need three quarts of manual tranny fluid correct?

347  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  8. Omega

Omega Proven Member

Joined Oct 10, 2002
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Timkin make great quality parts. You will have no problems assuming it's the correct part, although it is an output shaft seal.

I would suggest a seal removal tool, you don't want to damage the surface. Also, pick up a socket or something that is the same diameter as the outer metal ring. That way you place the seal in and use the socket to press it in evenly.

9. 1fast97gsx

1fast97gsx Proven Member

Joined Jul 6, 2003
    Orland Park, Illinois
    The output shaft seals is the seal where the shaft that goes to the transfer case sits. You don't have to remove the axle to change that. You are getting them mixed up. The front differential has a seal on each side commonly called axle seals. To change these the axles do need to be pulled from the tranny. Do you need to do the drivers side or passenger side?

676  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  10. my95tsi

my95tsi Proven Member

Joined Dec 6, 2002
    Chicago, Illinois
    Well since i do have a fwd i guess needing the output shaft seal was out. Thats all autozone had in their computer. I know i need to replace the passenger side axle seal but is there possibly another name for it? Also when my axle seal was replaced last my buddy removed those seals very easily with a large flat head screw driver, but since the seal is already poped halfway out I don't see a problem.
    By the way is there any reason why an axle seal would come out?

347  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  11. spyder97gs

spyder97gs Proven Member

Joined Dec 10, 2004
    Greencastle, Indiana
    You will get the wrong part from napa, and autozone doesnt carry it. M&R in my local town carried the right seal. They are also about $9 from the dealership. Output shaft seal is the name.

12. my95tsi

my95tsi Proven Member

Joined Dec 6, 2002
    Chicago, Illinois
    Well i already ordered one from mitsu on monday but it won't be in till tomorrow and it's $13.

347  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  13. spyder97gs

spyder97gs Proven Member

Joined Dec 10, 2004
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Oh, I paid $9 here at my local dealership.

14. my95tsi

my95tsi Proven Member

Joined Dec 6, 2002
    Chicago, Illinois
    Well there probably two different part numbers since your an N/T.

347  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  15. spyder97gs

spyder97gs Proven Member

Joined Dec 10, 2004
    Greencastle, Indiana
    4g64, same engine/tranny minus the turbo plus some displacement. Who knows though,

16. my95tsi

my95tsi Proven Member

Joined Dec 6, 2002
    Chicago, Illinois
    Well i replaced the seal. The hardest part was getting the new one in. I put it all back togther, filled the tranny up and took it for a test drive. I pulled back into my garage and look underneath the car to find a drip building up on the bottom of the tranny!!!!!!!!! Wht the hell is wrong? This is the second time the seal has been replaced, the first time was professionally done and the second time was by me. I don't know how it could be leaking.The spring in the center of the seal is what applies pressure to the inner lip so it makes a seal. Unless these things are not the right inner diameter size i don't know what else could be the problem. I pounded that seal in and there is no way any fluid get get around on the outer lip. Is this pretty common. It seemed like it was dripping a lot and it has been leaking for the past year and it just changed my tranny fluid last in June of this year and when i drained my tranny today my jackstand was in the way and i honestly dumped about a quart of oil on the garage floor while draining it out of the tranny. However the reaminder still filled up 2 full quarts. So obviously it's not a horrible leak. But really how common is this????

347  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  17. suicidal2af

Joined Jul 31, 2004
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Are you sure you didn't overfill it? If you did, then it's quite possible for the excess to leak out.

Get a shop towel and wipe everything clean. Let it sit overnight, and see if any leaks out.

18. spyder97gs

spyder97gs Proven Member

Joined Dec 10, 2004
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Are you positive you didnt damage the seal at all while installing it? I did that one my first attempt and had to get another seal.

19. my95tsi

my95tsi Proven Member

Joined Dec 6, 2002
    Chicago, Illinois
    It's only full to as much as the filler plug will allow. Your always supposed to fill up to the filer plug. I didn't damage the seal at all while installing it. It's a pretty solid piece, it seems pretty difficult to damage. I tapped it in all the way but i hear from some people that you should only tap it in half way.

347  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  20. suicidal2af

Joined Jul 31, 2004
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Keep in mind, though, that when you have it up on jackstands, it's angled backwards, which will allow you to overfill it slightly, and will result in the excess spilling out.

Is it still dripping?

21. my95tsi

my95tsi Proven Member

Joined Dec 6, 2002
    Chicago, Illinois
    Well i'm leaving little spots wherever i was parked....

347  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  22. my95tsi

my95tsi Proven Member

Joined Dec 6, 2002
    Chicago, Illinois
    Oh and i didn't fill it back up when it was on jackstands, i needed level ground.

347  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  23. suicidal2af

Joined Jul 31, 2004
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Get some degreaser and some shop towels and wipe everything clean. Look to see where it's dripping from...it may not even be the seal.

I'm starting to think you might have a crack in your bellhousing somewhere. But that's just a random thought.

24. Omega

Omega Proven Member

Joined Oct 10, 2002
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Funny you should mention that, I have replaced both seals and my trans still leaks a little.

25. spyder97gs

spyder97gs Proven Member

Joined Dec 10, 2004
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Might check that its not leaking from the Speed sensor area.