1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

How much boost is safe?

Posted by SuspectLaser, Jul 5, 2002

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. Lunch_Box

Lunch_Box Proven Member

Joined Mar 14, 2003
    Sherwood Park,
    I was told no more than 6 or 7 psi. But my friend has been running 9psi on his 92 talon that were turboed and he has not had any problems. He is also on his 220k km stock clutch to. It has been about 2 months now since the engine got some boost.

2. Famousgunner

Famousgunner Proven Member

Joined Sep 13, 2002
    So as long as I don't go over 7psi I will be ok? I just want to make sure before I really mess up my engine.

172  0

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    · 1G DSM
  3. Lunch_Box

Lunch_Box Proven Member

Joined Mar 14, 2003
    Sherwood Park,
    That's what I was told. Each engine is different but I would say you're safe with 7 psi.

4. TimG

TimG N/T Moderator

Joined Jun 28, 2002
    Aurora, ON, Canada
    Theoretically you could run 25psi. All you have to do is buy a pocketlogger and read the counts of knock you recieve. You're n/t pistons are worthless up against detonation. 7psi is just safe because at that set mark on 9:1 compression pistons, youll be making just as much power as a stock turbo DSM would. A stock talon doesn't have too much knock with proper fuel and igniton mods. Anyway, stay it safe and no more then 7psi. :thumb:

779  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.315 @ 132.140 · 1G DSM
  5. Famousgunner

Famousgunner Proven Member

Joined Sep 13, 2002
    Ok. Thanks for all the info. As soon as I have time off from work I'll start working on the turbo installation.

172  0

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    · 1G DSM
  6. revsclipse

revsclipse Proven Member

Joined Oct 11, 2002
    Roslindale, Massachusetts
    Hey how are you guys? I just did this install about a month ago, it was great for about a month no problems, so I decided to turn up the boost a little to 13 -14 to see what would happen. Now when ever I drive the car it smokes and the valve cover fills up with oil, that seems to be coming from under the oil cap so I replaced the oil cap and the same thing. does anyone know what the fix for this is. Please let me know. Thanks

Rev

7. HadesOmega

HadesOmega Proven Member

Joined Aug 5, 2002
    408, California
    don't know about you 1G guys but the 2GNTs got weak pistons, I wouldn't go no more than 10 psi because the piston wasn't designed for boost. The thing that will usually go is the ringlands like what happened to me. But I did go like 20k or something with boost and that's like with a buncha road racing and autox on it. Keep the boost down and tune it right and you shouldn't have any problems until its time to build it up. ^_^

Street Build 2K  5

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4

831  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    15.131 @ 95.580 · 2G DSM
  8. xsabrewulf

xsabrewulf Proven Member

Joined Mar 28, 2003
    I took out my Boost Control Solenoid Restrictor (BCS)

And I was wondering if this is going to hurt my car.

HOW much HP will it add?
    and what is the risk of doing it?

9. DSM Stang-Eater

DSM Stang-Eater Proven Member

Joined Feb 14, 2003
    shouldnt ruin ur car at all, u should gain anywhere from 1-3 psi, i know my friend is hittin 15 with that out, the mas mods and a k&n with no boost controller. Your car will be fine, HP i m not sure i think it is like 10hp per psi?? u might wanna check that one out tho. :thumb: :dsm: :talon: :laser:

10. XxXEcLiPsE93

XxXEcLiPsE93 Proven Member

Joined Mar 6, 2003
    yea i did the mod, definte power increase(felt) and car runs better and turbo sounds louder...i think the figure though is like 5-7hp per psi but i might be wrong..so ur lookin at about a 10-21hp increase...not bad for somthing free :thumb:

11. Defiant

Defiant DSM Wiseman

Joined Jan 13, 2003
    glorious Galt, California
    Good idea to think of this after removing it.

You may get a couple PSI boost, and maybe six horsepower. You'll be able to imagine you can feel it.

3K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  12. dunkyfried

dunkyfried Proven Member

Joined Apr 12, 2003
    Asheville, North Carolina
    I pulled the little BCS plug and didnt see an increase in boost, (yes I do have aftermarket gauges,) what gives...? :confused:

13. Task1er

Task1er Proven Member

Joined Mar 25, 2003
    Hey guys, when I installed the 4G63 nt motor in my mirage I thought I would be happy...WRONG! I got my Ass handed to me by an eg civic with a B16 motor. Now I am planning to add the stock turbo set up. my question is how much boost can I run with the nt block before I have major problems? I am thinking about 9psi.:dsm:

14. TimG

TimG N/T Moderator

Joined Jun 28, 2002
    Aurora, ON, Canada
    I'm thinking there are countless posts about this topic. Just search a bit and you will find different answers for different reasons. It's up to you to pick which one you like the best.

779  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.315 @ 132.140 · 1G DSM