The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

How much boost is safe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was told no more than 6 or 7 psi. But my friend has been running 9psi on his 92 talon that were turboed and he has not had any problems. He is also on his 220k km stock clutch to. It has been about 2 months now since the engine got some boost.

That's what I was told. Each engine is different but I would say you're safe with 7 psi.

Theoretically you could run 25psi. All you have to do is buy a pocketlogger and read the counts of knock you recieve. You're n/t pistons are worthless up against detonation. 7psi is just safe because at that set mark on 9:1 compression pistons, youll be making just as much power as a stock turbo DSM would. A stock talon doesn't have too much knock with proper fuel and igniton mods. Anyway, stay it safe and no more then 7psi. :thumb:

Hey how are you guys? I just did this install about a month ago, it was great for about a month no problems, so I decided to turn up the boost a little to 13 -14 to see what would happen. Now when ever I drive the car it smokes and the valve cover fills up with oil, that seems to be coming from under the oil cap so I replaced the oil cap and the same thing. does anyone know what the fix for this is. Please let me know. Thanks

Rev

don't know about you 1G guys but the 2GNTs got weak pistons, I wouldn't go no more than 10 psi because the piston wasn't designed for boost. The thing that will usually go is the ringlands like what happened to me. But I did go like 20k or something with boost and that's like with a buncha road racing and autox on it. Keep the boost down and tune it right and you shouldn't have any problems until its time to build it up. ^_^

I took out my Boost Control Solenoid Restrictor (BCS)

And I was wondering if this is going to hurt my car.

HOW much HP will it add?
and what is the risk of doing it?

shouldnt ruin ur car at all, u should gain anywhere from 1-3 psi, i know my friend is hittin 15 with that out, the mas mods and a k&n with no boost controller. Your car will be fine, HP i m not sure i think it is like 10hp per psi?? u might wanna check that one out tho. :thumb: :dsm: :talon: :laser:

yea i did the mod, definte power increase(felt) and car runs better and turbo sounds louder...i think the figure though is like 5-7hp per psi but i might be wrong..so ur lookin at about a 10-21hp increase...not bad for somthing free :thumb:

Originally posted by xsabrewulf
I took out my Boost Control Solenoid Restrictor (BCS)

And I was wondering if this is going to hurt my car.
Good idea to think of this after removing it.

You may get a couple PSI boost, and maybe six horsepower. You'll be able to imagine you can feel it.

I pulled the little BCS plug and didnt see an increase in boost, (yes I do have aftermarket gauges,) what gives...? :confused:

Hey guys, when I installed the 4G63 nt motor in my mirage I thought I would be happy...WRONG! I got my Ass handed to me by an eg civic with a B16 motor. Now I am planning to add the stock turbo set up. my question is how much boost can I run with the nt block before I have major problems? I am thinking about 9psi.:dsm:

I'm thinking there are countless posts about this topic. Just search a bit and you will find different answers for different reasons. It's up to you to pick which one you like the best.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back