The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

How Is Nx Nitrous Activated?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-CLIPS97

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 8, 2003
Eagle mountain, Utah
I was curious how the NX nitrous is activated? I know you have to activate the system(and open the bottle valve), but I mean after that? Is it a push button(like f&f)or is there something mounted on the throttle position sensor that automaticaly engages it when you hit wot?

Originally posted by Ralli///Art GS
There is a limit switch mounted on the throttle body, so when you hit WOT the solenoids open. There is no point in using the N20 at any point other than WOT.

You can use nitrous outside of WOT with the use of a progressive controller. There is a point to using nitrous durring part throttle posistions, but it is not usually the best idea due to the possibility of a overly lean condition. Progressive controllers (depending on the complexity) can adjust the amount of nitrous through the selenoid by time, rpm, throttle and a host of other factors. Very usefull for getting traction durring launch.

-X

true, this is all theorhetical but say your car makes 150 max horsepower. with the throttle 1/2 open say your only making 90 hp, you boost a 50 shot and now your making 140 hp. why not go WOT, max out the HP, then hit the N20 and get 200hp.. i can see traction issues off the line but then just don't spray off the line. what are your thoughts?

Think of it this way, a 50 shot is based off of a certain diameter jet along with a specific pressure. A 50 shot is only a 50 shot at a specific pressure, thats why do don't feel it if the pressure starts to drop, like if your bottle is cold or almost empty. What a progressive control does is only open the port on the selenoid a little way at a time. When you do this the pressure is not exactly what the jet needs hence the ramp up in power. Hope this makes sense.

-X

Originally posted by Xphile1999
Think of it this way, a 50 shot is based off of a certain diameter jet along with a specific pressure. A 50 shot is only a 50 shot at a specific pressure, thats why do don't feel it if the pressure starts to drop, like if your bottle is cold or almost empty. What a progressive control does is only open the port on the selenoid a little way at a time. When you do this the pressure is not exactly what the jet needs hence the ramp up in power. Hope this makes sense.

-X

so your saying a controller makes it so you basically have "adjustable jets" meaning that you just dial in the power you want for certain RPM/time into run/etc. that said you could put in a .100 jet and adjust the controller so you are only using 50hp? for the $320.00 price tag you better be pretty serious about shaving a few tenths

Well, its is not as exact as pressure x jet size. The controller can only lift the seneloid based on amperage, so they ramp up the amps to make the plungger lift higher slowly. Its not like a stepper motor that can be way more exact. Make sense? They are very expensive, you should check out the Venom 2000, program it with your palm.

-X

yeah that makes sense. My plan is to run 2 fan spray nozzles and another solenoid in my holley dry system. each nozzle with a 35 or 40 shot. So for backroads I can just use a lower setting and if I find myself having to blow the doors in on a honda I can arm the 2nd nozzle and have a higher HP setting. wait what was this thread about again?:D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back