The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

How do I get rid of scratches and swirls that I sanded in to start with?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommiman

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 31, 2004
Vaughan, Ontario_Canada
I attempted to use scratch and swirl remover which didn't work. How would I color match this black color? My local parts store only has paint for the white parts of the car.

Any tricks other than forking out a lotta money to repaint the whole roof and hatch?

Good question. I've been wondering where to find this color black for a while. You can always match the main color of the car with www.paintscratch.com but they don't sell the black that goes along with the car. 1G's usually always have the roof and pillars painted all black but no one seems to know where to get the black paint to match this area. Sucks because I have some rust spots that needs repairing.

Have you thought over getting it wet sanded and buffed? Probly cost a little over a 100 dollars to do the roof, and it will look like a new paintjob

Meguires paint polishing products usually work. You might have to step down to 2000 grit wet sanding paper first. Sometimes just clear coating over it and polishing it will work.

If its a big deal I'd have a profesional do it.

The scratches orginated from me using 2000 grit wet-and-dry sandpaper to remove over spray from another job. Like I stated before I tried using the Meguires Scratch and Swirl remover and that didn't work. The roof and hatch seem to be made from a different material than the rest of the body. Using 2000 grit wet-and-dry sandpaper on other part of the body isn't a problem.

Lucily before the scrach area got too big I tried using Varsol on the rest of the over spray. That worked beautifully. I wish I used Varsol from the beginning.

There's gotta be a way to fix it.

Ok I fixed it using the Scratch and Swirl remover "Scratch X". I was't rubbing and reapplying long enough.

tommiman said:
The scratches orginated from me using 2000 grit wet-and-dry sandpaper to remove over spray from another job.
Ah, and as usual, the Rest of the Story begins to surface a few days later. See, you had us lured-in, because swirls and scratches brings to mind little teensy flaws caused by years of maintenance. Not one single person in the whole wide world ever stopped to think, "I'll be he fouled-up his paint by sanding on it, and now needs to fix it".

Now that it's too late, only sand in one direction, never in a circular motion. You could try to wetsand it again, properly, but your best bet will be to just hire a competent detailing shop to fix it once, and right. Kind of like if you'd paid one to take off the overspray the first time.

Sorry.

No need for a detail shop. Scratch X did the trick.

you should really be using a buffer with the proper pads and polishing compounds when you wetsand. i agree with Defiant, unless you've wetsanded before, let a shop do it. it can really F things up if done improperly

but at least you fixed it so it seems. that's what counts here i guess :confused:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back