The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

How do i get that polished look exactly?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericismyname

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 14, 2002
West Des Moines, Iowa
just as it says, im looking to polish my engine bay all shiny, but i cant find a vfaq on how to do it the right way?

By sanding a bunch (I usually start with 220 and work my way up to 800), then by using a bench mounted buffer or grinder with a buffing wheel and some buffing compounds. Always use a seperate wheel for each compound.

That is pretty cool too. but i was thinking more of something like this.

Attachments

• engine35.jpg
    engine35.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 396
have fun man. I had an NA 3000GT with a 6g72 like that pic you had. pain in the ASS to do with the thing in the car :cry:

80 - 100 - 200 - 400 - 800 - wetsand 1500 - wetsand 2000

guess which step i got to before my fingers were literally bleeding from losing so much skin? step 2 bwhaha.

i managed to smooth it out but OMG i've never thought your fingers could hurt so much after about 4 hours of sanding :cry:

Pow pow power tools. if you use a die grinder with as maney sanding atachments you can find, you will save yourself a lot of labor. it will still be a pain though

i polish steel and aluminum for a living. heres a couple tips. like they said, start out with a rough grit paper and work your way up to about 1000 or even 1200-1600. PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL. if you really want it to look like you gave a damn about what you did, keep your scratches as straight as possible and keep them all going the same direction. that way when you get down to the 600 and 800 the scratches will almost disappear and she'll really start to bling. the finer the grit you go the better its gonna look. and yes your hands are gonna hurt, bleed, and your gonna feel it for a week. :thumb:

ok so is there any place that has the compounds you need and stuff liek that...a shop around here polishes bike frames with a brill and a buff thing or somthign....any help?

Try automotive type paint shops. There is a place around here called Industrial finishes, I don't konw if they are a national chain, but they have everything from the sandpaper to grinding/sanding atachments, buffing pads, and smaller buffing atachments, and buffing/polishing compounds.

! work at grizzly.com and we sell everything to polish anything.Even small buffing pads you can put on drills.We also sell the hard buffing pastes in diffrent grits.[I also get a 10% discount]! :shhh:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back