1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

How bad is it??!

Posted by LTUDSM, Jul 2, 2013

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. LTUDSM

LTUDSM Proven Member

Joined Jun 27, 2005
    Morrisville, Pennsylvania
    How bad is it and what is the options to get it fixed??! Thats the pass side rocker panel

Attached Files:

478  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  2. CanadianTalonTC

CanadianTalonTC Proven Member

Joined Jul 8, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB, Canada
    That is really bad.

The only option is a cut and weld. I beleive miller import parts sells used rocker panels.

Your biggest decision is this car worth it? I imagine it's rusted out under the spare tire and in other places as well if your rocker is that trashed.

Joel

3. LTUDSM

LTUDSM Proven Member

Joined Jun 27, 2005
    Under spare tire only surface is covered in rust i cleaned with wirewheel as same was on one of the strut tower. Only one side of rocker arm is rusted to hell. I deff wont be getting another shell because im to far already. Im completely rebuilding entire car from new sunroof to the new brake lines...

478  0

· 2G DSM
  4. CanadianTalonTC

Joined Jul 8, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB, Canada
    Fair enough.

Like I previously stated then, getting a clean used rocker panel is going to be your best option here and then have it professionally installed.

Joel

5. WES_393

WES_393 DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 6, 2011
    Colo Spgs, Colorado
    This is the only option for repair. You'll have to cut the rust out and weld new material in place.

Photoautogarage146-1.jpg

Photoautogarage147-1.jpg

6. LTUDSM

LTUDSM Proven Member

Joined Jun 27, 2005
    Its good to have a donor car ;)

478  0

· 2G DSM
  7. LTUDSM

LTUDSM Proven Member

Joined Jun 27, 2005
    Sheet metal? how much it could cost for a bodyshop to do that?

478  0

· 2G DSM
  8. CanadianTalonTC

Joined Jul 8, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB, Canada
    In the long run, welding on a cut off one from another DSM will be much easier. It's already properly shaped etc.

Joel

9. redbud23

redbud23 Proven Member

Joined Oct 16, 2012
    midway, Georgia
    To really get a good idea of the amount of rust clean all the flaking rust off first. To me it looks like its not easily repairable though. The best bet is to find a car and cut the panels off and get a good shop to do the work. A good body shop will charge 1000 to 1500 for the cutting and welding. Then you have to paint all the areas that you replace and color match and if the paint is old you may have to paint more than whats affordable. The paint can cost as little as 1000 to 3000 depending on how much they have to paint. Find a body shop make friends and pray.