The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

How accurate is the stock tach?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleTalonTim

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2007
Brighton, Tennessee
Out of curiosity, I want to know how accurate the stock tachometer is in a 1g Talon. The reason I ask is because I have noticed in my data logger and some electronics I have made, when I shift at 6500 RPM in my automatic, according to the dash, my data logger and experiments show I am actually shifting closer to 7000. I have even seen the logs hit 7200 RPM when I shift at 6500 RPM with my shift box. I can feel the car shift and watch the tach never go over 6500 RPM, but when I check the data log, it is higher in 2nd and 3rd gear. Does this mean my dash tach is wrong or off? Is this a common issue?

Yea I noticed the same thing on my afc just a little off.

Its accurate enough of course your dataloggs will show different being as though the signal is not driving an electric motor. Mine are consistently off by a few hundred rpm, its just a good reference

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back