The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

ECMlink Houston we have a problem!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbgriffin

Proven Member
Jun 14, 2017
Lewiston, Idaho
So I finally got ecmlink and a socketed ECU from a fellow dsm'er off the classifieds. The ECU had been worked on from ecmtuning. Extremely excited I jumped right into the installation. The first thing that concerned me was the chip had fell out of its case during shipping, but looks OK. So I pop the cover off the ECU, and install the chip the correct direction. The next issue I encountered, while doing the software install it won't let me install the driver. It says something about elevated privileges needed? So I moved on to installing the EPROM ECU in my car. With everything hooked up and installed. I plug in the USB cable to the laptop and turn on the key. Immediately I hear a humming sound behind the dash, like a motor running. And a relay clicking several times. Both go away in a few seconds. But I can't get anything to connect, probably because of the driver issue? But I decided to try and start the car, and I have nothing. Should it start even without being connected? I'm really starting to crap myself here, hopefully I just need the driver? Any help is greatly appreciated, and sorry if this is a noob question.

Yeah you need to download the driver or it won't connect. The car may start without changing anything, just depends on if the last settings from the previous owner are close enough to what your car needs.
As for the humming and clicking behind the dash, my guess would be the ISC. If it stops after a couple seconds.

So I got the driver download to work. But I still got nothing. It says failure to connect. Not really sure where to go from here? Also when I turn the key on I get a hard relay clicking several times?

There a few things that cause the ecu not to connect:

1) Try different usb ports. For whatever reason, I've ran into issues with specific usb ports

2) Plug the your cable into the already-on laptop, then turn the car on. Sometimes it's finicky about that sequence of connections.

There a few things that cause the ecu not to connect:

1) Try different usb ports. For whatever reason, I've ran into issues with specific usb ports

2) Plug the your cable into the already-on laptop, then turn the car on. Sometimes it's finicky about that sequence of connections.
I can try that tomorrow, I don't think I did it in that order. So also I'm not 100% the driver download went through properly. Is there anyway to tell? I'm almost ready to send everything off to ecmtuning to check it over. But I figured I better ask first. So I just sent an email, see what they say.

One more question. Wouldn't it at least start without connecting? I figured it might run like crap but at least start so I know if the ECU is good? Maybe not though.

It should start regardless of if it connects to the laptop or not. You may want to go ahead and send it in if the car isn't starting and you've looked into other options. The fact that you had relay/sensor clicking makes me think there is possible ecu damage.

Just an update, it was an issue with the driver download. I had to go in an manually give it elevated privileges to run. Also I quick note, I found that drivers won't be active til u reboot. They load at startup. After I did that, it connected just fine. My car is running better than ever. Now I have a lot of learning to do, my first time using link. Thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back