The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

HKS Wastegate?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudeX

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 14, 2011
Surprise, Arizona
So this looks to be an HKS ext wastegate but with all the knockoffs and such I'm just not sure. Had this part sitting around in a box I got with a shell a while back. It looks like it may be missing something like an adjust screw on top? Anyways, is there a way to check it and make sure it works right? I read somewhere that they may have come with different pressure springs in them. Currently I have a stock wastegate getting pushed opened around 20psi or so and I figure its time to move to something better. Had this part sitting around and even have a 02 housing pipe that it goes to. I have no experience with adjustable actuators and dont want to waste the timewith a cheap or broken part. Also should light be able to shine through the valve on the bottom like that? Also any idea of its value? Thanks.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 286
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 209
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 206
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 214
It looks legit, I have one of the same HKS gates sitting around. You're not missing anything on the top. That's a vacuum port where you can screw a fitting into when you use both ports. You are missing the fire ring on the bottom though. I can take a picture of the part when I get home but it's basically a valve seat of sorts. As for a value, whatever somebody is wiling to pay. They were great wastegates back in the day but they are on the large side vs modern wastegates and generally not very desirable. I've been sitting on one like yours and a huge 50mm race gate for 10 years.

Hmm, I noticed the o2 pipe I have has a flange that seems to seal around this valve but wouldnt be sure if thats what it needs to work. I'll attach a pic. Thanks for the reply!

Edit: Do you think I could use this wastegate without interfering with my intercooler piping. I have the PR FMIC and already had to nuke a fan to get it to fit. Ideas?

Attachments

• photo 1(1).JPG
    photo 1(1).JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 134
  • photo 2(1).JPG
    photo 2(1).JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 101
That is the sealing ring. Really tough to tell from the pics how it will fit but as long as it's not hanging too low it should clear the piping. Changing the lower pipe isn't that hard though so it's worth a shot to mock it up.

If I get this thing to fit is it definitely gonna be better than the stock internal waste gate? I read somewhere that it could have a 5.7psi spring. I think the stock one is 10. Ill see about putting it on this weekend if I have time. If its HKS I should get like 1000hp instantly right LOL.

It will control boost better than a stock internal gate. As for the spring, pretty tough to tell unless you pull the spring out and see what it is. Have you modified the exhaust housing to run an external gate?

Hmm. Hadn't considered that. Is it as easy as cutting off the flapper door or something similar? I guess I really need to find out if this thing is serviceable before I trash my housing. Has anyone seen an illustrated parts breakdown or have a model or part number for this waste gate? I wouldn't be against replacing some small parts if need be.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back