The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Wastegate

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Mason

Proven Member
Apr 29, 2017
Covington, Kentucky
So I’m wondering if anyone can give me knowledge regarding the factory wastegate, or any for that matter. First question is under how much pressure should you see the wastegate actuator move... what controls it, and what is the main source of telling your car how much boost to make? I’d assume boost controller... that I can’t seem to find in the car. But I also noticed the actuator was rusted and hard to move. I got a code for wastegate malfunction. I was hoping Revving the engine from outside the car, would allow me to see the wastegate actually function, but had no luck. Thanks ahead for any help

On a stock setup, it connects to the boost control solenoid. Once it reaches the spring pressure inside the wastegate, it starts to open which I think is around 8psi. If you can't move the shaft, remove it from the turbo and see if it's the actuator or the flap. You can also put air to the wastegate to see when it opens.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If your car is still all stock, then I imagine the wastegate should open after 10psi, and the wastegate solenoid controls it. You would need a boost controller to raise or lower your boost, these cars do not have one from the factory. Revving your engine won't really show you much for wastegate movement because you're not making boost at idle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back