1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

HKS camshaft question 22002-AM001 vs 2202-RM003

Posted by blink2401, Jan 25, 2012

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. blink2401

blink2401 Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2004
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I had order a pair of HKS 264 camshafts and unfortunately the intake camshaft was lost by fedex. The box was delivered empty. The end of the box was not taped and apparently the camshaft bounce back and fourth in the box and popped the end off and fell out. It is still missing. :(

Anyway I have been looking for a new intake camshaft for the last 3 weeks and have not been successful. I know that they are discontinued but I figured since had found 1 set I might be able to find just an intake camshaft.

One of the vendors I contacted told me to also look for a 22002-AM001. This is for the evo. Does anyone know if this camshaft is the same as the 2202-RM003?

I know the engine faces the other way in an evo but would that affect the camshaft at all?

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. NOSLO2PT0

NOSLO2PT0 Proven Member

Joined Aug 31, 2002
    Joliet, Illinois
    Look on Ebay. Single 264 cams pop up every now and then.

3. g4ebguy90

g4ebguy90 Proven Member

Joined Mar 9, 2011
    Rockford, Illinois
    Put a ad up in the classifieds, i'm sure there are lots of people who bought 264's and upgraded to 272's and have them laying around.

4. blink2401

blink2401 Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2004
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well I have access to a 22002-AM001 and would like to know if anyone knows what is the difference between the 22002-AM001 and the 2202-RM003

Would I be able to use a 22002-AM001?

If this is camshaft is not an option I will keep checking on ebay, and put a wanted ad in the classifieds section

Thanks

5. NOSLO2PT0

NOSLO2PT0 Proven Member

Joined Aug 31, 2002
    Joliet, Illinois
    Don't think you can use EVO cams in a DSM.

6. Sirnixalot

Sirnixalot Proven Member

Joined Jun 5, 2010
    Cayman Islands, Central America
    ^ there is a whole thread on this actually

I have an HKS 264* exhaust cam that i swapped out for an Evo 8 HKS 280* exhaust cam.

I do not have it running as yet but i can report back to you next week hopefully.

If you have aftermarket cam gears with dowel holes for both Evo and DSM cams then it makes the process much easier to time up

7. blink2401

blink2401 Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2004
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I searched around and found a couple threads that said they would work, but no real technical information, if anyone would like to link them that would be awesome.

From the few thread I read it was mixed reviews that they would work, or they wouldnt work, but no one ever claimed to have tried it.

My concern was that the dowels would be backwards, and that the lobes might be backwards or at least backwards from the exhaust camshaft if using a 2202-RM004 rather than a 22002-AM002 camshaft