The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

History of the build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91talonawdtsi

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 1, 2005
kansas city, Missouri
Ok so I'll start off with a history of my car from the beginning. The eclipse was bought in November of 2006 in Phoenix AZ. I flew down from MO to pick up my Jeep which I had left in Nogales when I was working with the border patrol for the national guard. The night i picked up the jeep i decided to slip into mexico for a little fun. Had fun and also got a DUI on my way back to my hotel. Woke up the next morning and went to Phoenix and traded in the Jeep for the Eclipse. Put the top down and started my way back to KC. Around flagstaff i was driving with the top down when a mustang pulled up next to me and revved up the motor i pushed in the clutch and down shifted when i eased off the clutch it stayed on the floor. Called parts stores as i would see the signs for the next town clear into Texas where i hit a snow storm. after driving without sleep for a long time I finally got lucky in Oklahoma City and picked up a slave cylinder. Had to change it in the snow by myself with no sleep and very little tools.
After Having the car for a while i started doing the free mods along with a nice stereo system with a couple twelves big amp and nice 6x9s. Went to get in the car one morning to head to work and someone had ripped out my back window, cut the top and finally smashed in the small back window trying to get to my stereo. As we know when they reached in to unlock the door the alarm went off and they must have abandoned it.
A week later i noticed a oil spot under the car and found that the oil feed line for the turbo was leaking. I could'nt find one at any auto parts store so i bought some brake line and made one untill i could find one. The one i made was a little long and to get the bend right i had to loop it way down. A friend of mine asked to borrow the car for a couple hours i told him to make sure he stayed away from parking curbs. guess he didnt i hopped in the car and drove to marshall from kc to spend the weekend with my dad blasting the stereo the whole way (90 miles). When i pulled into my dads i turned the stereo down and the engine was knocking like crazy and smoking. Pulled the dip stick not a drop left in it. The Oil line was bent and leaking.
Decided to do a quick rebuild. When i pulled it apart the main bearings were gone not worn completly gone. Did the rebuild started it up to break in and seat the rings. After about 10 minutes it locked up. pulled it apart and found the bearings didnt take time to clean the oil valleys and a bunch metal got in the bearings and locked it up.
So there i was needed a new motor, top was torn, and glass was gone. Car was drug around behind me everytime i moved from November of 06 untill April of 10.
Bought a motor from one of those Japanese motor importers. Took me about a week of working after work to get the old motor out and switch everything over thats different from the japanese motor. That weekend i dropped the new motor in and had it up and running by saturday night. While waiting for the motor to come in i had ordered a new top in black i hated the brown one. Also ordered a fmic, cat back exhaust, and a new front suspension. Started installing all of my goodies and had them done by the next weekend starting to come together nicely. Besides all the regular problems my transmission will not go into first gear and the interior is ruined from being wet for so long. My next steps are a fuel pump, wideband o2, and injectors. Then itll be ready for a tune. Next big thing is the transmission and interior. I hate hate hate the brown interior im gonna search everywhere for a all black interior that the 99 oz edition came with or ill just wrap it all in vinyl. In the mean time the car is doing really wierd stuff sometimes when i start it up it will chug and miss all the way till it spools then other times runs great. Im in Afghanistan now but while i was home i cleaned the ENTIRE fuel system. Didnt help. Thinking maybe a boost leak or electrical problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back