The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

high flow cat

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

partymonster975

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 27, 2005
buffalo grove, Illinois
Does any one know were to get a high flow cat. I found one but its for like racing and it mite not pass emissions. Can someone recommend one or know of a web site to find one.
I plan on getting a DC sport ss exhaust and headers, so it will have to work with that.
The car is a non-turbo 2g eclipse.

Are you looking for a weld in cat or something else? You can get 3" or 3.5" cats from Random Tech or any other muffler company.

go on ebay motors and search either eclipse 95 converter cat or try talon 95 converter cat you should fiund what you need cheap

baf32 said:
Are you looking for a weld in cat or something else? You can get 3" or 3.5" cats from Random Tech or any other muffler company.

I've heard Random Tech flows extremely well, but are expensive. :thumb:

Yeah, you probably want a Cat that will have around a 2.5" Piping diameter b/c anything more than that is overkill for a non-turbo...You will probably have to get somebody to weld one in because I don't think that the DC Sports Headers usually connect to a Catalytic Converter...You should get a muffler shop to make you a piping setup that starts after the headers, goes to a hi-flow 2.5" cat, and then does 2.5" mandrel bent piping all the way to the rear where you will have them weld on the muffler of your choice...A custom exhaust would probably end up being cheaper than buying an aftermarket catback to go along with the cat and headers...but, its not my car, just giving you advice...

BTW: Most Cats should help you pass emissions, they all basically do the same thing, it's just that Hi-flow cats allow for more air flow...Your trouble with emissions would come from that aftermarket header!!

kraka said:
Yeah, you probably want a Cat that will have around a 2.5" Piping diameter b/c anything more than that is overkill for a non-turbo...You will probably have to get somebody to weld one in because I don't think that the DC Sports Headers usually connect to a Catalytic Converter...You should get a muffler shop to make you a piping setup that starts after the headers, goes to a hi-flow 2.5" cat, and then does 2.5" mandrel bent piping all the way to the rear where you will have them weld on the muffler of your choice...A custom exhaust would probably end up being cheaper than buying an aftermarket catback to go along with the cat and headers...but, its not my car, just giving you advice...

BTW: Most Cats should help you pass emissions, they all basically do the same thing, it's just that Hi-flow cats allow for more air flow...Your trouble with emissions would come from that aftermarket header!!

ditto.

Just get some OBX or Pacesetter 4-1 off Ebay for less than $200, put them on and take your car to a muffler shop. Have them do 2.5 piping or whatever size you want, and get a High flow cat from them. Should be about 250 or so total..If not less.

Josh

Any experience with OBX High Flow cats? I can pick one up off ebay for $65 shipped, and the local exhaust place charges $165 for a high flow. The OBX is a bolt on, and the ones at the shop are weld on. My headers (the ones sitting in the floor beside my PC chair, LOL) have a bolt-on connection for the cat. Any advice?

DeuceX said:
Any experience with OBX High Flow cats? I can pick one up off ebay for $65 shipped, and the local exhaust place charges $165 for a high flow. The OBX is a bolt on, and the ones at the shop are weld on. My headers (the ones sitting in the floor beside my PC chair, LOL) have a bolt-on connection for the cat. Any advice?

That's because the ones on Ebay are test pipes, not catalytic converters. You probably will not pass emissions with the ebay one. Muffler shops have true High Flow catalytic converters which is why they are more. They are legal, and the real deal.

Not all the ebay ones are test pipes. You have to read carefully and if it doesn't specify that it is a REAL cat than don't get it.

Any high flow cat WITH flanges for $65 shou;d be suspect. Check warpspeed. I got a high flow with flanges for my maxima for $100 from them.

No, every state (that I know of) has emissions requirements. Some don't require regular testing for emissions so you can get away with breaking emissions laws.

I believe there is a sticky for emissions. But Cali is the worst. They don't even sell two-stroke dirt bikes there anymore.

DeuceX said:
OBX High Flow Cat on Ebay Here's the cat I'm looking at on Ebay. Looks good to me, but I haven't heard much about OBX so I want to make sure its a good product before I spend my cash on it.

That one is basically a resonater. It is straight through with some packing on the outer part like a straight through muffler. I bought one and its not a true catalytic converter.

Ya, theres no emissions in Florida. I have a buddy that lives there.

Check to see if your state has emissions laws. If they do read up and see if theres anyway you can be exempt. I would recommend however, staying with OEM cats. Not worth the trouble for the 5 hp (if that) that you'll get from NA car. There are plenty of other mods to do first. When you start talking 300 + whp then we'll talk about restrictive cats.

Catalytic converter requirement is federal, not by state. The states have some control over whether or not to test (not complete control, as the EPA has forced it in some areas where the states don't want it)... Just because they're not actively looking for it does NOT mean that it's legal to take it off...

Oh, I thought this was offroad applications. Tampering with a catalytic converter is a felony.

All my info was offroad use only!

TJGoSurf said:
Oh, I thought this was offroad applications. Tampering with a catalytic converter is a felony.

All my info was offroad use only!

There are provisions for replacing catalytic converters. For example, there is no problem with buying a car, finding it minus a cat, and then adding one (as I had to do). There are no problems with replacing a malfunctioning cat. Swapping out a stocker for hi-flow because you feel like it, IS prohibited. There are some time limits on certain things. For example, I *believe* that cats are warranted for a certain period of time (5-8 yeears?) during which they MUST be replaced by a factory replacement if found bad. So, if you toast your cat on your older car, or buy one without a cat, and put on a hi-flow, you *may* still be strictly street legal if you meet all the different provisions.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back