The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink Help with 92 Galant VR4 car stalling while driving ECM log

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COVR4355

Proven Member
Mar 8, 2017
Grand Junction, Colorado
Good morning fellow DSM/VR4 enthusiasts!
I am in desperate need of far more intelligent Car-Gurus on this one!
In the past months I have had my ever-increasing joy of a 92 Galant VR4 completely stall out on me on four occasions.
The occurrences include the Wide-band sensor going super lean-more throttle increases leanness. Ultimately ending, with the car completely dying as if it was fuel starved...last occurrence was on the highway going 75 mph-log included with the InjOn and InjDuty going 0% while driving-turned off the car for a minute and fired right back up with no more issues going home :/ Also included a Messy WOT pull after going back to 91 oct from E85
I have consulted numerous posts regarding engine dying while driving:
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/engine-dies-while-driving.495924/
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/car-dies-while-driving-for-15-20mi-and-warm.435231/
Possible CAS or FuelPump issue, Ignition Control Module?

Spark-plugs, injectors, and pump look great, pulled the ECU and no leaking capacitors-new fuel filters on pump and inline fuel filter.
Its crazy due to the fact that I can romp on the sweet old girl going WOT with no issues going lean or anything...but out of the blue the car just stalls-it will fire up but wont run after the initial occurrence (goes crazy lean)??? One time I left the car for 40 minutes (in 20 degree weather) and drove it home with no issues.
I am hoping you far more intelligent Car-gurus could take a look at the included log of the aforementioned issue and see a distinguishable fact in why this is happening.
Thank you
Joshua

Attachments

• Stall Lean no InjOn log.2019.01.28-01.elg
    34.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Messy WOT tune from E85 to 91 oct log.2019.01.28-01.elg
    11.3 KB · Views: 68
I would lean towards replacing capacitors again. Just cuz they don't leak, doesn't mean they aren't bad.

Or mpi relay.

Also, how big is your fuel pump wired? Loose connection? Faulty relay? Corroded terminals?

Good afternoon and thank you for your post Crackerman...regarding the ECU here are a few detailed pics.
Regarding the Fuel pump...it is rewired, all connections checked and tightened, no corroded terminals.

Quite stumped and hesitant to even drive my sweet VR4...need the AWD right now too with the massive snow we have here under the Grand Mesa :p
The crazy part is it has not thrown any CEL codes at all during the four times.

I will test the MPI and see if it is in spec being ohmed. http://www.galantvr4.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Board=UBB2&Number=1093960&page=0&fpart=1 (seems a possibility)
Blessings and thank you for all your insight in aiding me in my silly problem.
Thank you
-Joshua-

Attachments

• ECU 1.jpg
    ECU 1.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 86
  • ECU 2.jpg
    ECU 2.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 79
Update:
Still having stalling issues-same symptoms as mentioned before....stalling out of the blue after going crazy lean-even after doing the following:
1. MPI tested in spec
2. Ran Seafoam through fuel-tank, throttle body,and cylinders-sucked out the carbon with wetvac.
3. Installed new BPR8ES gaped to .028
4. Installed just recently cleaned Denso 660's
5. Checked all wires to CAS, IAC, Power Transistor, Spark-plug wires.
Truly beyond stumped and cannot afford to throw more parts at the beautiful old girl...good Lord she is fun in all this snow-if only she did not leave me stranded when she decides to be Schizophrenic :p and stall-out.
Thank you for your help and look forward to hearing from the DSMGurus/Masters :)
-Joshua-
P.S. Is it possible the Power Transistor is bad...causing the stall and super lean condition?

Last edited:
I haven't looked at your log yet, but the second picture of the ecu looks concerning to me. The negative lead for capacitor C108 has some brown around the lead where it goes into the board. That's not the way that should be. It should be all silver from the solder. It looks like whoever did the repair work on your ecu didn't do a great job cleaning the previous leakage. Some of the other components around the cap also look like they haven't been cleaned properly.
I have to agree with some of the others that I would get that fixed first if everything else checks out.

After an ECU tuneup, make sure you have GOOD grounds to everything. Motor, trans, chassis even ground the intake/throttle body area. These are as important and good power wires. Just throwin that out there.
Glad to have you on the Forum!!! :thumb:

Thank you everyone who spent the time to look into my silly issue...I have decided to send the ECU to ECMTuning to hopefully fix the issue.
Looking forward to plugging this baby back in and getting back to drifting all over the mountains due to the incredible amount of snow up here near Grand Mesa, CO
Blessings and so happy to be apart of this wonderful community!
-Joshua-

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back