The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Help me decide on powder coat for my JMF.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradikus7

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 8, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Well I purchased a JMF street intake manifold used. Got a crazy good deal but it is fairly scratched up. I was considering just polishing it but I think it's too far gone for that. So, I was thinking about either a gloss silver powder coat or gloss black. Here is a pic of my bay although it is going to be different come spring time. Picture a TS manifold with 2 Polished TiAL WG's. Also with this paint scheme VC.

My bay currently:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

NOT my valve cover but the same that I'm going with:

Open to suggestions also but mainly my theme is black and silver/polished.

Gloss black the manifold and silver the JMF like the valve cover.

Satin black to match the exhaust manifold.

Finish the paint on that engine bay!

That exhaust manifold won't be there come spring. I'll have a tubular true twin scroll with polished Tial waste gates. As for the paint, I know it looks bad but was that way when I got the car. Ever since I've eliminated/tucked things it looks worse haha.

20% satin black on the JMF and I second keeping the "JMF" engraving brushed silver if you can, it would look good with that valve cover lettering.

:dsm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Polished silver if you want it to pop when you open the hood or black if you don't want it to pop. Either would look good to me. Depends on how you are and your taste IMO

20% satin black on the JMF and I second keeping the "JMF" engraving brushed silver if you can, it would look good with that valve cover lettering.

:dsm:

Second that motion :D

Thanks for all the input fellas. I gave it a look over again and there are some pretty good scratches. So I'm thinking black is my best option. The wrinkle and satin or flat black look really good, but I don't think flow with my other items. So, were going to go with a gloss black.

Now I'm really liking the idea of the brushed JMF logo and never even thought about that, so thanks for all the ideas on it. Any clue on how to go about that? Should it be taped off before coating or powder sanded off after or what?

You would just have to tape over the JMF engraving before u powdercoat it. Then the JMF will stay polished/silver and the rest will be black. I personally like intake manifolds in the polished/silver look but if you're going to do the black that should look nice too..especially if you have the JMF engraving silver :thumb:

Well, I went with wrinkle!! ;) Took it to a local place and WOW I'm impressed with their work. Also got my turbo hotside ceramic coated although I didn't snap a pic of it.

Would it be safe to take a high speed rotary tool (AKA Dremel) to go over the "JMF" engraving to clean it up and make it silver. Or will the powdercoat try to chip off?

The coating will chip off :( If you are super careful, there is a chemical that will break down the coating allowing you to clean it up, It's a lot of work but if you are a perfectionist It can be done!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back