The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Help me decide on build options

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayB12

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 12, 2009
Philipsburg, Pennsylvania
So, I picked up a running 6 bolt complete shortblock about a month ago for like $100, I had planned on building it for my car but I really don't know which way to take the build. Original plan was a manley/ross shortblock .020 ect. but I've realized I won't be able to put that together for quite some time considering it would cost 2k+ and being in college I don't have a lot of extra cash. I have my 16g maxed right now and want to go to an hx35 setup but I still doubt my 140k 7bolt, being a DD and all.

So what to do? I was thinking of maybe getting std. 2g NPRs on 1g rods, rings, bearings, hone/tank/polish crank and reuse the current oil pump. After removing the 7bolt I planned to keep it as a spare motor to make sure the 6bolt runs well. Then rebuild the 7bolt using the same method as the 6bolt except using evo rods/pistons. Then swapping back to fully build the 6bolt .020 over (reason I wanted to keep std bore now.) This whole thing will probably take years and the fully built one being after graduation at least.

Current Questions:
I wanted to keep using my current head for both of the first two builds, but can you have the head bolt holes taken 1mm over for 6bolt studs then go back to the 7bolt block? Or should I just pick up a 6bolt head?

Another thing, I want to hold ~30psi on the hx35 so would the 2g pistons be better than 1g, as far as I know the lower c/r helps with more boost.

Any input is appreciated, please help me steer this build in the right direction.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back