The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Help finding oil leaks

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dugan33

Supporting VIP
Jun 11, 2011
Madison, Wisconsin
Hey, I'm not as familiar with 2gs as I am with 1gs. This is my first 2g Awd and I plan on keeping it as long as I can. I bought it about two weeks ago and did the first oil change on it. It was pretty dry about only 2 quarts came out.
There was oil all over the drivers side undercarriage especially around the oil pump and filter. There was also some pooled in the vc and down the side of the vc by thermostat housing. My guess is I need a new vc gasket and maybe some vc bolts got stripped. The biggest issue is the potential front main seal. The timing was done 20k ago and the belt looks great not even that oily. I'm trying to decide what I should fix.

I'm thinking if it is the rear main seal I'll live with it and power wash undercarriage every oil change. Either way I'll get a new vc and vc gasket though. I'm looking for any ideas or input on other oil leak spots.

If it wasn't a 7 bolt id be more inclined to take it all out and redo all the gaskets but I'm not sold on reliability. It's got 130k and no signs of crankwalk yet. Leak down test shows 174 178 179 178. It's pushing 22psi water meth injection 16g 680 Pte injectors etc only arp headstuds all internals stock from the factory.

I cleaned it all this weekend I'll check it everytime I get gas for fresh leaks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    789.5 KB · Views: 280
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    775.4 KB · Views: 324
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    854.4 KB · Views: 462
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    616.1 KB · Views: 221
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    734.9 KB · Views: 198
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    996.2 KB · Views: 208
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    689.6 KB · Views: 195
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    775.4 KB · Views: 198
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 197
Hard to tell. There's oil everywhere. Clean it up with some brake cleaner and a rag. Drive it around and look for new leaks spots.

I did clean it up here's a couple top pics of it clean.[DOUBLEPOST=1413795901][/DOUBLEPOST]It was dark by the time I finished cleaning underneath but I'll take pics next time I get gas

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    806.3 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    718.6 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    841.3 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    927.7 KB · Views: 192
Looks like VC gasket. If your getting oil behind the timing cover I would check the cam gear seals. That was my problem. There's a way to do it without removing the timing belt. You just have to be very careful, and prepared to retime it if need be.

I talked to a guy a weavers who said the same thing about the cam seals. Ill add that to the list. I ordered the victor reinz front seal set, oil drain plug, oil cap, and vc gasket. Ill try to hold off on the timing related gaskets, clean and inspect again.

Victor reinz r junk, use ANYTHING but victor reinz, Fel-Pro is ur best bet for no having an issue[DOUBLEPOST=1414408201][/DOUBLEPOST]If its hard to tell where the oil is coming from get a small bottle of u/v die and put it n with ur oil, drive it 50-100 miles and use the yellow glasses and a u/v light to pinpoint the leak[DOUBLEPOST=1414408424][/DOUBLEPOST]The valve cover gasket set should also come with rubber grommets for the valve cover bolts and spark plug tube seals as well

Last edited:
Rock auto only offered the timing front seal set from victor reinz otherwise i buy gates if i can. the u/v dye sounds like a great idea where can i buy this and the yellow glasses. So far Ive used bradd penn in my last oil change after I cleaned it up cause it was green. I figured i would be able to better tell the fresh leaks by wiping my blue gloves around to find the oil. In hindsight, this was a poor plan I cant tell the difference at all, but so far only oil has accumulated on the valvecover and oil pressure sensor dripping from the cover and coming out the dipstick gasket probably under boost. I might pull the timing cover this weekend and steam clean it all and hopefully find this u/v dye kit

Also the castle plug o ring if that hasn't been mentioned.. its also possible to crack the front case if its over tightened.

Do you have any oil on the bottom of the hood. When i couldn't figure where my oil was leaking from i found out that under boost my dipstick was popping out throwing oil everywhere. Not sure that this is your issue but something to check out ?

I'm glad I ran across this post. I just blew up a 4g63 last year and bought a newer one and swapped over everything that was still good from the bad 4g63. Now I'm leaking, more like puking, oil all over. I will go through an entire oil change in about 50-75 miles if I try to go fast. I think I'm going to have to try some u/v die and see where the oil is coming from. Last time I spent time on it it looked like it was an injector leak, didn't know if anyone else had this issue or not?

I'm glad I ran across this post. I just blew up a 4g63 last year and bought a newer one and swapped over everything that was still good from the bad 4g63. Now I'm leaking, more like puking, oil all over. I will go through an entire oil change in about 50-75 miles if I try to go fast. I think I'm going to have to try some u/v die and see where the oil is coming from. Last time I spent time on it it looked like it was an injector leak, didn't know if anyone else had this issue or not?
With these engines, I strongly recommend changing all front seals, valve cover gasket, and oil pan gasket if you are having serious oil leaks. Rather inexpensive and whatever the problem is, this will normally fix it.

Last time I spent time on it it looked like it was an injector leak, didn't know if anyone else had this issue or not?
That would have to be the VC gasket. Because the VC sits on top of the injectors.

And if the injectors were leaking, it would be gas and not oil ROFL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back