The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Help!!! Car goes lean after driving

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mham2k

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So I have read every thread in this forum about cars randomely going lean but I believe this issue is not like the others.

1996 Eagle Talon TDI AWD 60k
I have big turbo, big injectors, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new wires, fresh gas, new stock MAF.

When I cut the car off then back on it runs fine until I drive it and it goes lean and cuts off again.

It's not the fuel pump or filter
It's not the MAF

Check the image below, this is a log of what happens to me

The car runs fine on timing, fuel, and maf at idle.

When I start driving the cars everything spikes like it should but the timing slowly trails off until it is underneath where it was at idle. When this happens the car runs lean and eventually cuts off. When I turn it off and back on it goes back to normal until I drive again as you see in the log in the Dropbox link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qx1ma05wl962le/20161206_132227.jpg?dl=0

Please help, I have been trying to figure this out for 2 freaking weeks. Now that I logged it I see this timing but I don't know why it does this.

Last edited:
Sorry for the
So you have a big turbo and big injectors.. more specific?

What engine management are you using?

(Yes this is reply is a year after i posted it, had to pause on my cars progress for a while)

I just purchased ECMLink and put it on the issue is still happened, I bought this car from someone that put a bunch of crap on it.

After a closer inspection I have found that I have
Non-OEM 450cc injectors.
Can't tell what turbo it says 6J1C on the side
Stock MAF
Aeromotive 450 pump in tank wired battery
New plugs
New Wires
New fuel pressure regulator set at 40 psi

ECMLink Log
-Note: Since I have installed ECMLink the 02 is stuck in closed loop, it cycled fine with my previous ECU and log.

Top blue is 02, notice how it dives gradually.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Like stated above, what did you use to tune the car?

Was using Apexi piggy backs now is using ECMlink but the problem is still here which tells me its probably a hardware or electrical issue not tune.

I can't drive it long enough to get it tuned, I can drive it around 10 minutes.

Seems that it starts acting funny when the car heats up.

o2 Sensor, check your fuel filter & make sure nothings clogged. Or your MAF

Fuel filter is new

Swapped MAF with a known good one from my old talon same issue

Front 02 sensor was cycling before I installed ECMlink now it isn't but the problem was happening before i installed it so i doubt that is the issue. I am unsure if there could be something else wrong with the 02, its not a wideband and it could be the original.

Did you just slap a bigger turbo on there with some bigger injectors and expect the car to run normal without a tune?

No i purchased this car from someone a few years ago with all this stuff already installed. He couldn't get it to start so he sold it.

I put the spark plugs on right (he had them in the wrong places) a new fuel pump in it. It runs for a while then goes lean.

Check for exhaust leaks if this help.

There were loose bolts and bad gaskets all over the exhaust. It has a 3" custom turbo back on it. I fixed all that I notice

Yesterday I notice exhaust coming from the place where the turbo and the manifold come together. I'm going to fix that this week and see what happens. This could be the problem.

^^ Lol we all know the answer to that :aha:

I didn't, I bought this car from someone with lots of mods done to it already.

non stock 450cc injectors
a turbo that has 6j16 on the side
ecmlink (i upgraded from apexi piggy backs)
aftermarket intercooler and wastegate
battery relocated to back
fuel pressure regulator
aeromotive intank fuel pump
aem wideband (not logging through ecm link)

See the attached ecmlink logs (csv and ecmlink versions)

I know the 02 is not cycling, I think that is a setting in ECMLink that is doing that.
It was cycling fine before I installed it and the issue existed before i installed it.

Attachments

• Idle Logs log.2018.03.25-01.elg
    192.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Idle Logs log.2018.03.25-02.elg
    66.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Idle Logs log.2018.03.25-01.csv
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
  • Idle Logs log.2018.03.25-02.csv
    477.7 KB · Views: 55
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back