The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Headlights stuck on. ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97 gst turbooo

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 26, 2006
Lowell, Massachusetts
I've searched but can't find a good answer. My headlights now stay on after shutting them off. All interior lights and dash lights shut off but headlights stay powered until pulling the relay out or killing the battery. I've tried swapping the relays around but no luck. Any help?

I've searched but can't find a good answer. My headlights now stay on after shutting them off. All interior lights and dash lights shut off but headlights stay powered until pulling the relay out or killing the battery. I've tried swapping the relays around but no luck. Any help?

Sounds like a faulty switch to me like it has been shorted out to the constantly on position. Not sure how to test it though to make sure.

Sounds like a faulty switch to me like it has been shorted out to the constantly on position. Not sure how to test it though to make sure.

Well the thing is they aren't on when I turn the car on. They only stay on after turning them on and shutting them off. I've checked the alt fuse and that's fine too.

sounds like a short to power somewhere in the circuit... i would imagine the multifunction switch has gone bad. if you have access to a multimeter you can tear apart your steering column cover, use the black lead to find a sound ground and probe the switch with the red lead to check for voltage with the car off, headlights off before you remove the relay your kill the battery.

sounds like a short to power somewhere in the circuit... i would imagine the multifunction switch has gone bad. if you have access to a multimeter you can tear apart your steering column cover, use the black lead to find a sound ground and probe the switch with the red lead to check for voltage with the car off, headlights off before you remove the relay your kill the battery.

Yes I do have a feildpiece meter. I'm a hvac service tech so I know how to test for power and ground. Are you talking about the turn lever off the column that I turn on/off for the headlights. I started looking into the schematics inside my chlorine manual so I'll end up scoping it out this week. I'm wondering if it has to do with the battery ground. Maybe not getting good enough connection to the firewall because I've never had a issue with headlights last 6 years.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back