The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Have SBR gt14bb, looking for something different...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostforfun

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 1, 2004
Glenwood, Iowa
I currently am running a SBR gt14bb turbo on my VR-4. I am pretty happy with it, but it seems like a very laggy turbo, boost starts coming on at 3200 and peaks (25psi) at around 5500-ish. I put down 359whp (23psi, pump gas) on a mustang dyno (519 on race gas, 35psi), and have enjoyed driving the car this way. I really dont like having to wait for the boost to come on all the time, and am thinking about getting a different turbo.

I would like to accomplish 400-450whp on pump, with boost coming on as early as possible (preferrably full boost by 4500ish).

I dont really care if I have to build a t3 manifold or use my current mitsu one (i think the mitsu housing is what is holding my current turbo back).

Car runs external wastegate.

Don't ask if I have supporting mods, i do.

I am looking for only solid information here.. real world, first hand experience. no "Holset is god" or "GT35 is god" or "My buddy has a buddy who..." flame wars... just good info please.

I do have a holset he351ve variable gate that I have been playing with, so I am not opposed to creative ideas.

get a BW S362 extended tip. in a dsm flange or t3 or t4. there good upto about 680 whp. with 30 psi by 3k'ish rpm and max boost is right at 55 psi. this is a very awsome turbo. i think you should look/search into it.

get a BW S362 extended tip. in a dsm flange or t3 or t4. there good upto about 680 whp. with 30 psi by 3k'ish rpm and max boost is right at 55 psi. this is a very awsome turbo. i think you should look/search into it.

s362 is a great turbo, but no way in hell does it make 30psi by 3k...

Search savagetalon on here, he just made 530hp/520tq on a s362 with bolton housing and a 2.4

That is why I was asking if someone had a boost log, i just doubt it makes 30psi by 3k, as a 16g was barely hitting full spool by then. Like I said, I want real world, proven ideas here from the people that have done it.

I will search the guy down and ask him.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Brian

*and as for making 530whp, I can do that now on race gas, I am just looking for a faster spooling street turbo that wil still produce 400-450whp on pump with spool by 4500 ish and good transition times

I am wondering about the PTE t04e super 50 trim. The compressor map looks good with what im trying to accomplish, but unsure if it will flow enough to get to 450whp. It looks like it would get to 400whp.

Any thoughts?

My h1c (older hx35) shows more lb/min earlier than my small 16g. FWIW. Turbo results are quite complete and research can give you all you need.

Noone's going to have results for your he351, although it is basically a hx35/40 with an turbine housing that can be small enough to spool like an hx35, then open up enough to flow like an hx40.

I understand that research will yeild some results, but after 8 or 9 hours of research, I am still getting mostly "my turbo is better than your turbo" crap posts. either that, or I am getting peak number only posts, which does not tell me transition times or min boost RPM/ max boost RPM numbers.

-Im trying to avoid the "it feels streetable to me" type of info, and collect solid data on 400-450whp turbos that transition quickly and make those numbers on pump gas. It seems like this would be very useful info to have all in one place, as this is a very common goal for most DSM'ers.

This is why I am being specific that I am only looking for first hand computable experience, and no flaming others turbo posts.

Well small variances from one setup to the next will ater the results you're looking for. You can't predict that closely what your setup will do, IMHO. It'd be jsut bench racing. Ball park? Something like th hx35 will spool about like the evo3 16g and flow enough for such power. But realistically, I would go a little bigger. The hx40 is an option or the s256 or s258 in the bolton housing is proving to be a potent combination. A little less flow potential and a little faster spool speed for some setups is the FP3052, or the gt3076r if you dont mind not having a bolton. They all spool to 20ish psi from 3500 to 4200rpms. That's all you can really zero in on.

well, i got bored in the last 2 hours. I went ahead and rough fitted the he351ve... if I can get this to spool ok, I think it would be fun to have something a little different.

Im gonna have to build a manifold, downpipe, and reroute the ic piping a little bit, but it doesnt seem too bad.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• intake on from top.jpg
    intake on from top.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 95
  • intake on from side.jpg
    intake on from side.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 92
  • downpipe.jpg
    downpipe.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 94
  • exhaust clearance.jpg
    exhaust clearance.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 351 vs gt14.jpg
    351 vs gt14.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 84
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back