1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

has anybody changed their spoilers?

Posted by kccombs, Dec 29, 2011

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. kccombs

kccombs Proven Member

Joined Oct 25, 2011
    wichita, Kansas
    Well ive got a 96 tsi awd that has the real low spoil and ive always liked the look of the half moon spoilers. Has anybody changed theres before? Do the hole march up at all? And if not how did you patch them?

288  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. supermario300hp

supermario300hp Proven Member

Joined Dec 11, 2011
    Countryside, Illinois
    not sure if they do but its a good question the side holes might,but youd definately need to make a new hole for the third bolt.

3. taylor hindman

taylor hindman Probationary Member

Joined Sep 5, 2011
    warrneton, Missouri
    Well if your wanting to switch spoilers then just swap hatches so there is no need to drill holes just my 2 cents.

4. eclipsalon

eclipsalon Proven Member

Joined Sep 29, 2010
    rosenberg, Texas
    when i got my car the very VERY first thing i did the second i got it home was remove the spoiler. That sh** had to go. Got the car painted later and just bondo'd the holes including wiper.
    This pic is way out of date but only one i've got.

Attached Files:

470  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 2G DSM
  5. 11Banger

11Banger Proven Member

Joined Dec 26, 2011
    Ft. Stewart, Georgia
    Spoilers.... Worst thing ever

6. eclipsalon

eclipsalon Proven Member

Joined Sep 29, 2010
    rosenberg, Texas
    one day...

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      36.5 KB
      Views:

470  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 2G DSM
  7. jpmxrider489

jpmxrider489 Supporting VIP

Joined Apr 4, 2010
    pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    The holes on your talon spoiler wont match up with the new one. You can remove the spoiler and either put plugs there to stop the water or the way I did was bondo then sand then bondo then sand then paint. If you have the money or have a extra hatch then go for it. But then the hatch has to be the same color. I would just switch. Hope that helps.

2K  3

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. kccombs

kccombs Proven Member

Joined Oct 25, 2011
    wichita, Kansas
    Good imput. Thats a pretty good idea.

I like the look of no spoiler but want it to keep the stock look as much as possible. Even if i take the spoiler off it will still say tsi awd on the back

288  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  9. eclipsalon

eclipsalon Proven Member

Joined Sep 29, 2010
    rosenberg, Texas
    i took that off too, LOL. Im going for sleeper as possible. And right now its snooring.

470  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 2G DSM
  10. jpmxrider489

Joined Apr 4, 2010
    pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I see you have a talon. I have the eclipse wing on my talon. I want to get the one that goes all the way around. Are you wanting the one on the talon or eclipse?

2K  3

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  11. kccombs

kccombs Proven Member

Joined Oct 25, 2011
    wichita, Kansas
    I have 2 talons. 1st gen and 2nd gen. Which one are you meaning

288  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  12. jpmxrider489

Joined Apr 4, 2010
    pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    If your changing wings on your 2g, are you wanting a 2g talon wing or 2g eclipse wing? Wich one are you looking for? The wings that came on the 97-98 are hard to find.

2K  3

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  13. FenixTX717

FenixTX717 Proven Member

Joined Oct 10, 2004
    k-town, Wisconsin
    As already stated, they will not match up. Best thing to do is swap hatches unless you got a hook up at a body shop that can cover the holes and repaint it.

372  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    13.100 @ 113.990 · 2G DSM
  14. 4g63tc

4g63tc Proven Member

Joined Nov 20, 2002
    Palmcaster, California
    I patched the holes, by filling them with 16ga. steel then welding them in place. It's the correct way to do it, without the risk of filler cracks later especially in the hatch area since it flexes when opened, and closed.

1K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  15. ENICKB

ENICKB Proven Member

Joined Dec 25, 2011
    Morgantown, West Virginia
    thumbs up if you think wings should just stay on airplanes.

16. jpmxrider489

Joined Apr 4, 2010
    pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Theres not any problem with with wings. I love the stock wing. I had a ricer wing on my old car but didnt like it. No matter what wing he uses, its his car. He can do what he wants.

2K  3

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  17. rEclipserGST

rEclipserGST Proven Member

Joined Nov 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Swapping the hatch would be awesome if you didn't already have tinted windows :thumb:

Street Build 680  25

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    187 whp · 200 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  18. kccombs

kccombs Proven Member

Joined Oct 25, 2011
    wichita, Kansas
    Im not to cuaght up on body trims. Id just like to put the half moon style wing that came on the 2gs. I like my real low 1 so dont get me wrong, but have always liked the stock half moon style more.

Very ni:thumb:cely put. :hellyeah:

288  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  19. MotorHead265

MotorHead265 Proven Member

Joined Jul 11, 2011
    savannah, Georgia
    To do it the right way I would weld in steel like said previous. bondo wont hold ver long before its cracking and leaking. or you could even find the little rubber plugs to fill the holes temporarily. When you say half moon shaped wing which are you talking about?

271  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  20. SupremeDsm

SupremeDsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Omg! He's talking about the 2g eclipse half moon wing! The talon 2g wing looks nothing like a half moon! Even switching the hatches you will still have holes in your quarter panel! Me and a friend are doing this conversion on his 2g eclipse.

21. jpmxrider489

Joined Apr 4, 2010
    pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    It would be more expensive and harder to switch hatches because you would have to find the right color and the right holes. There's nothing wrong with plugs but it's not very clean looking.

2K  3

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  22. ENICKB

ENICKB Proven Member

Joined Dec 25, 2011
    Morgantown, West Virginia
    Well i wont lie, i like the small spoiler on the 1gs, it just looks like its supposed to be there. The half moon is kind of the signature look of the 2g, but i personally would pull it, and weld the holes. And if you want to switch the hatches, just get it tinted, maybe 50$ at a tint shop? especially if the hatch is off the car already, it makes it much easier to tint.

23. crankwalker95

crankwalker95 Proven Member

Joined Oct 12, 2011
    Avon, Indiana
    If you can find a hatch, yes that will be easy and probably more money in the long run. Find the 2GB spoiler your looking for, Remove the one you have now. Fill the the holes, either patch with bondo or get welded. Mock up the holes for the new 2GB spoiler and drill the holes. Then enjoy =)

And whoever said you will have holes in your quarter panels is wrong. The 2GA eclipse, has the two side parts of the spoiler in each of the quarters. That conversion is a little more work than you have LOL... I know because I've already done it to my buddies car

No he won't. Take a look at his talon. Your friend has the holes because he has a 2GA eclipse that your doing the conversion on. Very different bro!

387  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM