The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Hard to start -- video inside

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo98eclipse

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2004
northern, New_Jersey
2g with jdm engine--

--when i try to start the car it turns over strong but never actually cranks up. when it does, everything on my ecmlink looks proper and has a smooth idle

--when i step on the throttle it acts like it WANTs to start by making a small popping/combustion noise in my TB but wont start. I have to do that maybe 4-5 times before it actually starts. when warmed up it starts right up.

--i thought it may be a fuel issue or maybe a clogged filter so i turned up my afpr and shot a video of it, but it seems to be getting the fuel it needs so i ruled that out. i figured if it was injectors then the car wouldnt run smooth...

-- the spark plugs were changed when i first got the block. the wires im using were in the car when i got the shell. previous owner only ran the car for 75 miles and blew the engine, so they appear new.

anything else i can test to see what the issue is?

YouTube - dsm no start

my car was going this, or something close to it. but it wasn't starting i had to burn the unburnt fuel then it would start right up, try taking the plugs out light a lighter, the really long ones , in the spark plug tube. the flame should go out right away, if it doesnt you have a issue.

my car was going this, or something close to it. but it wasn't starting i had to burn the unburnt fuel then it would start right up, try taking the plugs out light a lighter, the really long ones , in the spark plug tube. the flame should go out right away, if it doesnt you have a issue.

LOL, explain this to me again??

--remove spark plug
--light a flame in the spark plug tube (do i crank the car or not?)
--if it goes out im good, if not then what does that tell me is bad?

i work in a shop and ive never heard of this :confused:

replaced the fuel filter since i had one laying around-- no results... any other ideas?

wouldnt a bad crank sensor cause a CEL? or idle rough or not start at all? seems to just take a bit longer on initial startup--

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back