The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G halfshaft bracket year differences / AC mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95burgundyesi

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2006
Rockford, Illinois
I am just finishing my 6 bolt swap in my 97 tsi. But only one of the botls for the half shaft bracket lines up. The other hole is about a half inch inside the brackets hole. Am I doing something wrong?

And no I am not talking about the gap from no a/c bracket.

yeah, I don't feel any other holes around it. And th half shaft is all the way in. I can tell because the clean metal part is all the way in the trans. I guess I will have to take another look.

Just to be clear, you know that one of the bolts gets bolted into the a/c bracket, right? The 97-99 shaft bracket MUST have the a/c bracket there because there is a 3rd hole in the a/c bracket that only the shaft gets bolted to. The 95-96 shaft bracket uses one of the bolts that bolts the a/c bracket to the block (and thus you can eliminate the a/c bracket if you get a spacer or shims).

Here are some pictures that show what I was saying.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You can see that the 95-96 bracket bolts to the a/c bracket using the same bolt that bolts the a/c bracket to the block. However, the 97-99 bracket uses a dedicated hole in the a/c bracket that is just for the shaft bracket bolt.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Put the a/c bracket on and use 97-99 shaft bracket
2. Hack the a/c bracket so you just have the lower portion of the bracket bolted to the block, and use 97-99 bracket
3. Find a 95-96 shaft bracket and use a/c bracket
4. Find a 95-96 shaft bracket, eliminate a/c bracket, and use Mitsu spacer MB297732
5. Find a 95-96 shaft bracket, eliminate a/c bracket, and use a stack of washers to take up the space from the shaft bracket to the block

I prefer option #4.

I have kind of the same problem except my car is a 95 talon tsi awd and i swapped in a 97 GST motor.. The bracket won't line up with the hole on the block...

So your suggestion on #3 wouldn't work right? Because I have the 95-96 shaft bracket and I have the a/c bracket because I'm keeping a/c...

It is basically saying use the 97 gs-t motor but use the a/c bracket from the 95...awd your halfshaft bracket will bolt to the lower right a/c bracket bolt and onto the back ot the motor....

I couldn't get my halfshaft bracket on so I just said screw it and didn't bolt it to the a/c bracket of the back of the block....til I get it on a lift to figure out what the problem is...

EDIT: added pics of the 95-96 style a/c bracket for future reference...

Attachments

• Picture 191.jpg
    Picture 191.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 907
  • Picture 192.jpg
    Picture 192.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 868
I understand what you are saying but your saying to use the 95 a/c bracket and only bolt up the shaft bracket with 1 bolt?? My main problem is that the shaft bracket doesn't quite reach the hole on the block... if i were to use the 95 a/c bracket then the back hole would fit but the front hole would still be just shy of the hole located on the block.... Unless I'm thinking wrong..

my shaft cannot go in any further.. i can physically feel it hit the little rim in the transmission so I know it's in all the way..

Let me know if I'm just being stupid and not thinking this through properly..

Thanks

As you seen above the 95-96 awds and 97-99 awds have 2 different a/c brackets...as well as each use their own style shaft/bracket....

You MUST use a 97-99 style bracket on 97-99's due to the 95-96 style a/c bracket doesn't have the hole...for the 97-99 shaft...the 97-99 a/c bracket has an independent hole just for the shaft/bracket

But the 95-96 shaft/bracket will fit all the years 95-99....it uses the rightmost a/c bracket bolt that connetc the a/c brack to the block...

The hole on the back of the block should be in the exact same spot regardless of what year 2g

I'm adding pictures of a 95-96 style a/c bracket for future reference....their in my previous post...

BTW..I can't get my shaft bracket to line up either.....

Ahh ok I see.. So basically no matter what year between 95-99, the hole on the block should line up.. it's just the a/c bracket hole that wouldn't line up due to the differences in a/c brackets/shaft brackets..

Also, your driving the car without the shaft bolted in place? If you find out why yours isn't lining up, please PM me and let me know, I'll do the same for you if I find out why.

Thanks for all the info..

Since you have a 95 I would just use your matching a/c bracket, just always match a/c bracket and intermediate shaft brackets....

I'm not driving the car at the current moment it's still in the garage...needs 2 new upper ball joints....putting it on my cousins lift for that, screw being on the floor....When I stuck my fingers in the tranny the splines were nice and clean....so I proceeded to stick the shaft in....hum its in but the bracket didnt line up.....was about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off....pulled it back out....felt in again deeper this time.....

so I proceeded to stick the shaft in....hum its in but the bracket didnt line up.....was about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off....pulled it back out....felt in again deeper this time.....Here you got 2 sets of splines

Could this be your problem? They are 2 half shafts that look identical but 1 is from a 2gb and the other I have no clue what it is from. The 2gb has the number 548 5 7A20 stamped on the bracket. The other has 547 7 7G10 stamped on it's bracket.

I was sent the 547 by a junkyard. It was supposed to be from a 99 GSX. So I stumbled across this thread trying to ID it. Anyone have any ideas?

Hopefully I was able to help you out too.

Attachments

• halfshaft compare.jpg
    halfshaft compare.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 996
  • halfshaft compare 2.jpg
    halfshaft compare 2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 974
Could this be your problem? They are 2 half shafts that look identical but 1 is from a 2gb and the other I have no clue what it is from. The 2gb has the number 548 5 7A20 stamped on the bracket. The other has 547 7 7G10 stamped on it's bracket.

I was sent the 547 by a junkyard. It was supposed to be from a 99 GSX. So I stumbled across this thread trying to ID it. Anyone have any ideas?

Hopefully I was able to help you out too.

The 548 is the shorter of the 2 correct? the 548 is what I have in my car so putting in a longer intermediate shaft would only further push the mounting holes away rather than closer.

The 548 is the shorter of the 2 correct? the 548 is what I have in my car so putting in a longer intermediate shaft would only further push the mounting holes away rather than closer.

That is correct.
Hum. Maybe the bearing has slid off the shaft some causing the bracket to sit further from the tranny? Does it look like that is possible?

That is correct.
Hum. Maybe the bearing has slid off the shaft some causing the bracket to sit further from the tranny? Does it look like that is possible?

I guess it's possible but I doubt it. I removed the bearing from my 99 shaft to put on a 95 bearing. I had to beat the bearing HARD to get it off - actually ruined the bearing in the process.

That is correct.

I guess it could be possible but as was said above, it's not easy to do so.. Plus, there would be no reason as to why that would have happened. No real force was put on the bracket as the shaft slide in and out of the transmission fairly easily...

I will double check the bearing tho.. I'm almost 100% sure that it didn't slide tho..

ok, so does anybody else have any information??

I guess to further give you guys some information I'll say this..

I purchased an Automatic AWD Tranny off of Ebay to replace my current tranny that had broken a mount off the tranny and was utter and total crap. The tranny has the same model number and all that good stuff but it did have some small differences.. I had to swap over all the mounts to the new tranny cause the mounts were all different... Then, the new tranny had a mechanical vehicle speed sensor.. I tapped that out with a chisel and put my VSS in.. All the electronics and connectors were the same...

I believe some 94 model DSM's had the 7bolt engine. A friend of mine says that the driverside input on the 94 transmission is different and that is why my shaft goes all the way in but doesn't line up with the mounting hole on the block.. does this sound right?? are the 94 shafts different than the 95 +

are the 94 shafts different than the 95 +

I believe the intermediate shafts are the same from 90 to 96.

I have a 95 and a 90 that I compared the other day and they looked identical. I didn't take any measurements but figured I didn't need to. My 97 axle slide onto the shaft and the length and location of the mount looked correct.

These shafts are from vehicles with manual transmissions. The autos may for some odd reason be different.

I'm also having a problem with all of this lately too. So does anyone know what the 547 goes too? Because I have both a 548 and a 547, is the 547 for fwd maybe?

I'm also having a problem with all of this lately too. So does anyone know what the 547 goes too? Because I have both a 548 and a 547, is the 547 for fwd maybe?

I'm thinking its either from an automatic or a V6. I completely forgot to look last time I was at the junkyard.

FWD eclipses have a longer axle with no half shaft.

Nobody has an auto AWD that could chime in on this??

Yeah i remembered fwd had a single long axle, wasn't sure about 1g's though. I have a 547 and two 548's. I'm pretty sure i've never been around a v6 or even an automatic. I have 3 intermediate shafts. One is from a random '98 gsx, one is from the donor car I used for the awd to fwd conversion (which i thought was a '95), and i can't place the third one. I'm currently having a problem with the axle cup not fully sliding on the intermediate shaft. I'm using a '95 style ac bracket, and apparently a 97-99 style intermediate shaft. Since I don't have access to a '99 ac bracket or a '95 intermediate shaft, I am thinking about trying to use the 547 seeing as how it's a little longer, it might solve my problems. The original problem was whenever i would turn fully to the right i would hear a grinding noise/vibration. It got a lot worse and I noticed that the axle cup was almost fully off of the intermediate shaft.

The 547 will not bolt to the side of the block; the bolt holes will not line up.

You sure you have the correct axle? Other thought could be that the car's suspension is to low or high?

Just incase you missed my post. The 1g shaft appears to be the exact same as a 95-96 shaft. The length is the same, the bracket seems to be the same, the axle slides on perfect, and it fits into the transmission. Can't remember if I actually tried to bolt it down, wouldn't make sense that I didn't but I don't wanna provide false information.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back