The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Had ngk 9es’s and stuttering

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbolence56

Proven Member
Jul 14, 2021
North_Carolina
Quick question regarding plugs

had some stuttering around 3-4K in 4th and 5th gear on freeway driving like car was being held back.
Problem was originally spark plug wires wasn’t seated well in the spark plug hole causing p0303 misfire. I reseated the wire cleared the code and checked all the wires which looked good. No arcing noted but car still hesitated in the 3-4K rpm range in higher gears. Pulled well to redline in first though.
So I decided to change my spark plugs as it is cheap. I bought ngk bpr6es as they were recommended on this board and local.my question this.

I have seen a lot of people run colder plugs, when I went to install me new plugs my car had NGK 9es’s

my car is far from stock.
For arguments sake. 1000cc injectors, ecm link, all bolt on’s, front mount intercooler, fp dp, fp manifold, fp hta68 turbo up grade with internal gate at 15 psi, walbro 225 fuel pump. Etc

had bpr 9es’s
Putting in bpr 6es’s gapped at .028

am I going to be screwed and cars going to run like ass? Cause 9es are really cold. And 6es are oem. Should I gap them smaller if I experience ignition break up, up top.

man I going to start knocking or detonating since these aren’t as cold? Don’t want to blow up the motor.

Low and behold the half shaft axle is missing it’s inner cv boot as it’s obliterated. and the axle is wide open and I assume it lost all the balls in the race. Will post picture of the carnage in a minute.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The inner CV joints are a tripod style to allow the axle to move in and out as the suspension requires. If the other side is half as bad as this you will 100% need new axles.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Steve. Do I need the whole axle including the intermediate shaft. The part that goes into the front transmission? Or just the part you have pictured. Can I go OE remand like these https://www.carparts.com/details/Mi...VD4bICh12pgbBEAQYASABEgLIOPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

As for the other side, I inspected it and the boot is ripped but does not look as bad, plan to replace both sides anyways though.

Any place I can get new ones. Also any tips to remove and replace?

Say my powersteering rack was leaking on the passenger side bellows. Fluid was dripping out of the bellow but passenger side only. Can I fix this side only or have to rebuild the whole powersteering rack?

Last edited:
The link doesn't work for me but it looks like everyone is pushing DDS axles as the only new replacements. A little spendy for me. I'd try RockAuto and perhaps the classifieds for some good used ones first. I think you're going to be spending on other parts soon. I haven't replaced axles in a long time and the place I used (Raxles) doesn't do DSM axles anymore.

If your intermediate shaft is in good shape you would reuse it.

You'll need a dead blow hammer, some good pry bars and a strong breaker bar for the axle nuts.

If your rack is leaking on one side it might be time to swap it out unless you like rebuilding it. It won't be too long before it starts leaking on the other side.

Yeah I’m planning on getting another car to drive this car is killing me. I’m not one to rebuild parts per se. The rack job is annoying i here. I will look into rock auto or go used. As for the rack will see what I want to do after the axles.

Update.

Replaced the driver side axle. Plan to do the passenger side in a few weeks when I have more time. No more shaking noticed. Also fixed some boost leaks and some exhaust leaks. Found some splits in my wastegate vac line off my boost controller from heat. Could be the reason I was over boosting, wastegate might be staying closed. Fixed those leaks and lowered the boost levels for now. Car drives much better after the cv axle got replaced.

Will know more about the health of the tune, boost issues and what not tomorrow when I drive to work. Plan to reset those ecm pink settings back to stock over the weekend to see what difference in drivability they make. Will keep you guys posted.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back