The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

H1c vs. HX35

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymos24

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 22, 2007
Boston, Massachusetts
Hey guys I'm not allowed to post in the bolt-on section or the turbo section so I guess I am stuck putting this question here. I was wondering what the differences between the H1c and the hx35 holset turbos are. I know I will be able to bolt both of them but as far as power is there a big difference? I ask this because it seems like the H1c's go for a lot less than the hx35's. And my final question is, how can I tell if it is the big H1c or the smaller one. Thanks alot for any input.

The H1C does not have map width enhancement grooves like the hx35. H1C turbos are basically the older hx35 turbos so they will frequently have more miles on them. Read the first page of the last few holset discussion threads for more specific info.

Hey guys I'm not allowed to post in the bolt-on section or the turbo section so I guess I am stuck putting this question here. I was wondering what the differences between the H1c and the hx35 holset turbos are. I know I will be able to bolt both of them but as far as power is there a big difference? I ask this because it seems like the H1c's go for a lot less than the hx35's. And my final question is, how can I tell if it is the big H1c or the smaller one. Thanks alot for any input.

Take a look at a couple pics of hx35's and h1c's like on ebay and stuff. You'll know if you find a small h1c. If going h1c, just make sure to get one from the intercooled truck. From reading the holset threads here, it looks like the h1c flows a couple lbs/min less.

From what I understand, people like the newer 7-blade (compressor) hx35's for the most hp. Others here, am I correct on that one?

Wow those were some quick replies :). Thanks guys. Do the grooves make the turbo that much better and if I was running the same amount of boost on both turbos, would the hx35 give me more horses than the H1C?

The two turbos have the same specs so both turbos should have the same flow potential with the hx35 making 600whp+ with a similiar spool up to an E316g. The h1c hasn't been maxed out on our platform yet, but it should be identical.

How much are we talking prices here? I am interested in knowing this, as I am going to want to up my 16g soon.

I have all supporting mods, just need to get dsmlink, 1000 cc injectors (550s right now) and I guess the turbo? what about 02 sensors, and oil lines or w/e.. or does that come with the turbo?

Well I have seen some H1c completely rebuilt already for like 200 bucks. While the hx35 are around the 300-400 used and not rebuilt. Also the H1c are more available.

Just still wondering what to look for when looking for the differences between a big H1c and a small H1c

Alright man thanks alot. I should have one of these bad boys soon.

How much are we talking prices here? I am interested in knowing this, as I am going to want to up my 16g soon.

I have all supporting mods, just need to get dsmlink, 1000 cc injectors (550s right now) and I guess the turbo? what about 02 sensors, and oil lines or w/e.. or does that come with the turbo?

The o2 sensors and oil lines usually aren't included and
probably wouldn't just bolt on anyway. Pushing this much
air I would highly recommend a wideband o2 as a safety measure. Most people go with the bolt-on bullseye
performance housing so it will bolt up to the stock exhaust manifold. Theturbotrader.com has a diy kit that includes the oil line, oil drain, and gaskets. You will want
to run a restrictor if going from the filter housing and your balance shafts are removed. All the info you could want or
need are in the holset discussion threads in the turbo systems forum.

One last question, how much does it normally cost to get an h1c rebuilt? I am about to buy one for 100 dollars and was wondering how much the rebuild would cost.

I have no idea, but most diesel shops should be able to do it. I have also seen new chra's on eBay for $200. There is also a guy on eBay that sells genuine holset rebuild kits who will also balance your rotating assembly for free if you buy his rebuild kit. These turbos are heavy duty so you my not need a rebuild at all if there is no play and it spins freely.

Hey I am just wondering if this is a "small" h1c or a "big" h1c?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It has an 18cm exhaust housing

Thanks for the help.

Also is the turbo above worth 150 bucks? The seller says it works fine and all and he is willing toi let it go for 150$. Is it a good buy? I'll most likely end up rebuilding it anyway. Thanks for any input

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is a "small" h1c, the one you are looking at would be a big h1c. I would say that it is worth it if you don't have to rebuild it...and it does look to be in good condition. I have seen questionable ones go for 75-100 shipped.

Good posts guy. You've been reading the holset threads. I've seen h1c turbos with a:

1) 45mm inducer and here and here (8blade, no MWE webbing, bolt on compressor housing)
2) 52mm inducer (8blade, no MWE webbing, vband compressor housing)
3) 54mm inducer (8blade, big h1c, MWE webbing no groove cut out, vband compressor housing)
4) 56mm inducer (8blade, Wh1c, Functional MWE, vband compressor housing, identical compressor shape to the 52lb/min hx35 7755AX compressor wheel)

All seam to have the hx35 style turbine wheel that will bolt into the BEP hx35 turbine housings.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back