The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

GST has trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin L Morris

Probationary Member
Sep 12, 2018
Altoona, Pennsylvania
Hello, i have a 1990 GST 5spd. I've been having this issue recently where it wont shift from 2nd to 3rd smoothly. Everytime i go from 2nd to 3rd it feels like there is a brick wall in the way and once i mess with the shifter a bit it then will go in. It has no issue with any other gear, and i can shift from 3rd to 2nd with no issue. it's just going into 3rd. Any advice would be great !
Thanks

The shift to 3rd has always been a common problem. Most likely you have a bad synchro and that usually causes a grind when you try and shift. However, if you don't have a grind then maybe something is off with your shift linkage or possibly a bent shift rail or something inside the transmission.

yeah i dont have any grinds or pop outs. I have to go from 2nd to neutral which also is a pain but once i get it there i can move it into 3rd without issue

It doesnt grind at all. So if im driving i go 1st, 2nd, then once the clutch is fully down i attempt 3rd, it wont go in. The shifter feels like it hits a wall and wont go into neutral until i mess with it a bit. Then once in neutral it will go up to 3rd and so on. It just doesnt wanna go from 2nd into 3rd. Feels like there is something like stuck holding it from going in. until i mess with it. but once in 3rd its fine. And it shifts down from 3rd to 2nd with no problem

previous owner installed a short shifter. Unsure of brand. But i've heard the oem shifter is best

My guess would be something wrong in the linkage from what you describe, kinda like the 1/2 shift rail is not getting completely back to neutral so the interlock is keeping you from split shifting between 2nd and 3rd until you wiggle the linkage enough to get it back to drop to neutral then you can proceed to 3rd.

I would look at the linkage at the transmission and the shifter and see if everything is working as it should without excessive slop or binding.

- Are the shifter cable casings mounted securely to the tranny so they don't move?

- Do you have this shifting problem when engine is off, or only when accelerating/decelerating, or ??????

When engine is off and on. I figured out it is the bushings on the shifter. Any links to some OEM ones would be great

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back