The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

GST auto to manual swap.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanGST

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 8, 2010
Bronx, New_York
I was searching and couldn't find anything on this swap that I can use I was looking for the parts I need for the swap. I'm getting the fwd 5speed over the weekend. What else do I need and where can I find a step by step on how to do this.

once you go 5 speed you should buy at least 4 of them, theyll keep breaking

Thats not true. I had 5 speed swap and there are NO problems. You have to do the job correctly.

Get the tranny and parts, and take your time. I've already said this is going to be a lot of work and time consuming to OP, but wants his car back and can only find 5 speed tranny.

Also, try what rbwtrans told you. Thats the guy that helped me with my 96spyder turbo setup... He's real good with trannies.

And 5 speed trannies are ALOT cheaper to maintain as well as replace than an auto...

I'm a little late but, I did the swap and it was not that hard. The most time consuming part was figuring how to get the spacer out of the crank. If you want to know how to do that let me know and I have a crafty and good way to do it that I read how to off another post on here. It took me a weekend, not consistantly working on it. Though I had a doner car to get my parts from. :)

Both an automatic and a manual transmission dsm can be fast. I say it would be "easier" to get down the track with an auto that was built right. I don't want to call it something that its not but the hop up rebuild kit for an auto will significantly improve your quarter mile time!

Good luck with the swap!

Has anyone swapped a auto to a manual recently? I'm woundering how much it would cost to have done. The only other article about how much this costs is ten yrs. Old.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back