The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Greddy Type S just installed, now weird smell

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97GSTJake

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 3, 2006
North Vernon, Indiana
Okay guys i just installed my greddy type s on yesterday and now i am starting to notice a weird burning type smell for only a couple seconds when i stop after driving (like at a light), i was wondering if this is either 1. from the bov fluttering (i heard it causes compressor surge) or 2. my engine brite cleaner that i cleaned my engine with 3 days ago still burning the smell of the engine.... what do you think this could be? i am running the bov pretty soft but it flutters under really low pressure in high gear

When engine cleaner burns off, it smells pretty bad. 3 days to burn off sounds kinda long though... did you clean it 3 days ago and park it or have those been 3 driving days? Can you describe the smell more? (like burning oil, electrical fire, etc.)

It's probably the engine cleaner. Also, for your sake, check the bov to make sure it's not causing any surge to the turbo.

thanks alot guys for the input, yea the smell does smell like a burn smell.....im thinking it probably is that engine cleaner, i never really let the car sit completely after doing it... but of course it was washed off.... but that flutter sound is compressor surge? most likely?

Yes, compressor surge is generally described as a flutter sound which is due to the BOV not opening to release the pressurized air in your intake system when the throttle suddenly closes. When this occurs, the pressurized air has nowhere to go but back through your turbo's compressor - this is bad for your turbo. I had compressor surge after installing my Type S at low boost levels, but after performing the single-spring mod, the compressor surge has been eliminated.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back