The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

weird greddy type-s bov problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my98GST

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 1, 2005
Cleveland, Tennessee
Lastnight I had my hood popped and had the engine running and noticed a strong airy hiss coming from the engine bay. I soon found it comign from my type-s. I wiggled the line going from the top bov nippe to the IM and nothing and then my finger accidently hit the bottom nipple and it was sucking air in like crazy, whats going on? I don't know if its hurting my car or helping my car? It's been running fine but I just dunno whats going on with it. Has anyone had a problem like this?

yeah but my buddy's type-s is sitting the same way as mine and his isn't pulling any vacuum...

Wouldn't that cause boost leaks instead of pulling vacuum? I'm not leaking one bit

my98GST said:
Wouldn't that cause boost leaks instead of pulling vacuum? I'm not leaking one bit

When the throttle is closed, it would be a vacuum leak. Once you go into boost, it would be a boost leak. The only way for vaccum to be present on the lower nipple of the type s without a vac line attached to it is for the internal diaphram to be leaking. Thie will also cause a boost leak from the nipple. Have you done a boost leak test? If not, how do you know it isnt a boost leak?

well damn, anyone got a type-s they would like to sell? :D

my98GST said:
anyone got a type-s they would like to sell? :D

You need to go to the DSMTuners' "classifieds" section for this. Do not post that kind of stuff here. It will only get your thread locked, and maybe even put into the "Dead End Threads" section, and I don't think you want that to happen to one of your threads.

burnt_toast96 said:
Isn't it inefficient to use a bov anyway?? why go through the hassle..

First of all, you need to provide information that supports your argument, and not just blatantly make assumptions or post unfounded statements. Secondly, if BOVs or compressor bypass valves or recirculation valves are so "inefficient", then why do all the DSMTuners' moderators and wisemen use them on their DSMs? Why does John Shepherd use one on his 7 second Talon? If they use BOVs, and 99.99999999% of the DSM community uses BOVs, then wouldn't you?

EDIT: Actually, according to the link below, Shepherd is using more than one.

http://www.shepracing.com/racecar.php

DSMunknown said:
First of all, you need to provide information that supports your argument, and not just blatantly make assumptions or post unfounded statements. Secondly, if BOVs or compressor bypass valves or recirculation valves are so "inefficient", then why do all the DSMTuners' moderators and wisemen use them on their DSMs? Why does John Shepherd use one on his 7 second Talon? If they use BOVs, and 99.99999999% of the DSM community uses BOVs, then wouldn't you?

EDIT: Actually, according to the link below, Shepherd is using more than one.

http://www.shepracing.com/racecar.php

woah there calm down.. I had just assumed after reading bov that it was venting to the atmosphere and based on: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113858
thats innefficient, my mistake.

my98gst: You can either replace the BOV as a whole or you can open it up, see if the diaphragm is damaged, like 92awddsm said, and replace just the diaphragm. The diaphragm is available at several vendors. By any chance is it a knock-off Type-S BOV?

burnt_toast: You may have misunderstood, as some people do when faced with things that are called by several different names. Some people think that "bypass valves" or "diverter valves" are ones where the excess charge is re-routed to the intake, while "blow-off valves" are ones that only vent to the atmosphere. DSM'ers tend to use these terms interchangeably, but will usually differentiate which mode their valve is in (venting to atmo or recirc'ing). And you're correct: venting the BOV's on our cars without the proper mods causes problems. However, what we're dealing with with my98gst's problem is a second, lower vacuum nipple on the valve that is leaking air and shouldn't be.

MrBoxx said:
my98gst: You can either replace the BOV as a whole or you can open it up, see if the diaphragm is damaged, like 92awddsm said, and replace just the diaphragm. The diaphragm is available at several vendors. By any chance is it a knock-off Type-S BOV?

burnt_toast: You may have misunderstood, as some people do when faced with things that are called by several different names. Some people think that "bypass valves" or "diverter valves" are ones where the excess charge is re-routed to the intake, while "blow-off valves" are ones that only vent to the atmosphere. DSM'ers tend to use these terms interchangeably, but will usually differentiate which mode their valve is in (venting to atmo or recirc'ing). And you're correct: venting the BOV's on our cars without the proper mods causes problems. However, what we're dealing with with my98gst's problem is a second, lower vacuum nipple on the valve that is leaking air and shouldn't be.

gotcha, thanks for the clear up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back