The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Help Greddy Type-s Bov Problem!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drocks22

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 9, 2006
dublin, Ohio
Okay I've researched everything on here about the Greddy Type-s BOV, because mine has had a fluttering problem since I bout it from the previous owner. I know this is most likely compressor surge and I want to get rid of it! I have the BOV tapped into my HICP and it is recirculated first of all so that isn't the problem. Today my friend and I did the single spring mod, left the larger of the two springs in, adjusted the BOV to softest boost and it still continues to flutter. I am currently running stock boost, but I think that is enough to open up the BOV. If there are any suggestions out there it would be appreciated greatly. Thanks in advance!

Dan

well if you do decide to change it go with a 1g. It gives the same tone(if you like the tone of the type s) and its a stock bov so it doesnt really need to be adjusted till you run higher boost.

Well it flutters when i let off the gas, but it's after hard pulls and medium throttle from around 3-4k RPMs. Do you think this could be a possible boost leak that is causing this? I would like to keep the Type-S, because I think this problem could be fixed I just need some ideas.

I find that a boost leak test always helps. Just to make sure, the softest setting is with the screw all the way out, correct? Call me crazy, but try to set the BOV on medium setting and see if that helps at all. Also, is the fluttering solid and distinct flutter or very fast like a buzzing?

It's not compressor surge. I have the same thing happening to mine. It's caused by the way the diaphram is designed, at least that's what one of my friends told me, and it makes sense. Like No SKills said above, try adjusting the screw.

i just put my type s on the other day and i mines flutters really bad right away ,then i adjust it a few times then the flutter stop completely

I'm thinking it's probably not boosting fully due to a leak, and there isn't enough PSI to open the BOV. I'll continue trying to adjust, but it is on the softest setting right now. The fluttering is very distinct and loud! I've listened to other type-s bovs on 2Gs and the deffinitely don't sound like this.

http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244545

Post #12 from the link above:

Here's the CORRECT way to set a BOV. Set up a boost leak tester and pressurize the system. Start the BOV on FULL soft. If it doesn't leak (which 99.9999% of the time it shouldn't) then you're all done. Clean everything up and call it a day. If it does leak (not likely) then just slowly tighten it down until it doesn't.

I've said this a million times before (we've had at least 23904873294823904823940823 'how do I set my BOV' topics, when will it be made sticky?) and I'll say it one more for the benefit of the new people....

The hard/soft adjustment is related to vacuum only, it is NOT for holding more boost. It is used to keep the BOV closed at idle and deceleration if that is how you choose to have it perform. This is extrememly important for people venting with stock drawthrough MAFs. If you aren't venting, set it full soft and be done with it.

:thumb:

I have the same problem. My Type S is adjusted all the way soft, and I have the single spring mod done also. Mine will only blow off at 15psi or higher. It will not blow off if I am building boost or boosting up to that, it only flutters. The only time it will actually blow off is when I hit 15 psi or higher. The flutter is very loud when shifting at 3-4k rpm. It even flutters occasionally when shifting under only vacuum. It just started doing this recently. The only two things that have changed since it started doing this is the weather got A LOT colder, and I replaced the catchcan filter on my crankcase vent. I am very bothered with this recent change in the performence of my bov.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back